Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Cannot add AMEX American Express gift card to apple pay

Although I've done this several times before without a hitch, today I'm finding I can't add my amex prepaid gift card to Apply Pay. I called amex to learn that as of 2/22/23 they have a system bug that is preventing an amex gift card to be approved to be added to Apple Pay. It's an amex bug and not Apple and it's been happening for over a month per the rep I spoke to. Regular amex cards work fine, but not gift cards right now.

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 4:40 PM

I just tried and no, it’s not fixed. This is terrible service from both of these companies.

30 replies

May 18, 2023 8:12 PM in response to Map70

I have 2 cards that won’t add so I called Amex. They were of no help but didn’t say the problem wasn’t a known problem. All I got was a suggestion to try it next week. Can you believe it? It’s been many many weeks and months since it’s worked, maybe a year even. I went to use the card at a restaurant and couldn’t because they’re new system couldn’t swipe cards, only tap to pay- Apple Pay would’ve worked IF my card was in there.

Cannot add AMEX American Express gift card to apple pay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.