Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail to icloud mail migration (large size)

Hi there,

Already spending more than a week trying to migrate from Apple Mail to iCloud Mail, after successfully migrating from Gmail to Apple Mail.

I have lots of emails with a lot of files. The takeout from Google was 23Gb in one large .mbox file, about 115000emails.

I was successful in importing them to my Mac Apple Mail, in a created import folder. I'm also assuming that Apple Mail, through IMAP, by now has downloaded all of the same emails as well in my connected account.

Now the problem is that the migration from my emails "on my Mac" to iCloud Mail is going very slowly. Also I don't have any way of double checking which emails it has synced and which ones it hasn't.

My local storage shows a mail folder of 140Gb which I'm assuming has my original .mbox plus some copies from the different migrations.

iCloud mail shows just 8,5Gb thus far.

I'm not looking to spend many more days on this migration.

Any suggestions to speed this up?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 7:59 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 23, 2023 8:40 AM in response to nicolasmertens

Hi nicolasmertens,

In this case the only thing you could try would be to connect to a faster network. If you're using a wireless connection, perhaps a wired one would move things along quicker.

Here's a resource that will show you how to move your mail using the web rather than the built-in Mail app: Import existing email messages to iCloud Mail from your custom email domain - Apple Support

You can compare your speed results between the two methods. However, the speed of transfer has too many other uncontrollable variables to provide other useful tips.

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Apple mail to icloud mail migration (large size)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.