Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is Apple Mail stored? I moved it all to On My Mac. The server reports I still have 8.61 GB email.

My email provider (IEEE) requires me to reduce my email storage to less than 2GB. Therefore I moved ALL my email folders and email to On My Mac. Where is On My Mac email actually stored? I am not allowed to buy more storage. Google actually supports IEEE but will not allow me to increase email storage in my email account. Google would allow me to buy additional storage if I used a gmail account but changing email addresses is a Herculean task I want to avoid.

I am told that I still have 8.61 GB stored email. Have I actually moved my email onto my Mac? Where is the email stored on my Mac?

iMac 27″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 9:44 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 1, 2023 4:00 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis,

I think I used a mixture of copying and moving. After a copy, I checked to see if all the email resided in both places. When I was sure that it was on On My Mac, I went back and deleted what was still on the IEEE server.

It was sort of slow and painstaking but now if I look at the IEEE server using a browser instead of using Apple Mail, it appears that there is virtually no email left in the IEEE server. Of course, the browser cannot show me the email which has been moved to On My Mac.

There is one folder left in the Apple Mail version of my IEEE account - Archive. That seems to contain an enormous number of emails. I'm guessing that that is what IEEE is still counting. I don't quite dare delete everything in there until I know that On My Mac has all my email and will allow me to view it in the future.

Archive just has a long long list of emails. There is no organization by folders. But if I had to, I could probably search for a specific email and its attachment.

I have never moved an email to Archive. It just is there and visible from Apple Mail. It does not appear to my knowledge when I look at the IEEE account using a browser.

Where is Apple Mail stored? I moved it all to On My Mac. The server reports I still have 8.61 GB email.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.