Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 partitions on SSD

My sister and I share a MacBook Air M1 (os 13.2.1). I would like to partition it roughly in half on a SSD so we each could back up our portion of data with Time Machine. Is this possible ?

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 8:18 AM

I’d probably create a second login.

In general experience, partitioning too often tends to end in tears a d recriminations.

Backing up locally isn’t backing up. Not reliably. Same-device backups are far too likely to disappear should (if) the Mac fails, is lost, is dropped, stolen, etc. Time Machine ro an external HDD, or to a local NAS with Time Machine support if you have the budget for that, is preferred.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2023 8:18 AM in response to arktype

I’d probably create a second login.

In general experience, partitioning too often tends to end in tears a d recriminations.

Backing up locally isn’t backing up. Not reliably. Same-device backups are far too likely to disappear should (if) the Mac fails, is lost, is dropped, stolen, etc. Time Machine ro an external HDD, or to a local NAS with Time Machine support if you have the budget for that, is preferred.

2 partitions on SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.