Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does orange dot appear when I make calls? Am I being recorded? How do I stop it?

Why does orange dot appear when I make calls? Am I being recorded? Have I been hacked? How do I stop it?

iPhone 8, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 9:27 AM

You are not being recorded. It's there to tell you the microphone is being used by an app, in your case the phone when making/receiving a call. It cannot be turned off.

About the orange and green indicators in your iPhone status bar - Apple Support

6 replies

Feb 22, 2023 9:24 AM in response to apple-info-question

This is a feature that Apple made a few years ago. It lets you know that access to your microphone was allowed. When you make calls, the only way for the other person to hear you is if the microphone is turned on. Same thing with any voice recording you make.

The only time you should be worried, is if you are not recording a voice memo or talking on the phone or using the microphone in any way, and that dot is there. Then it is possible there has been a malfunction of some kind.

If there is a Green light, it means your camera was allowed to be accessed. Usually this occurs when you're taking a picture or using FaceTime.

Again, no reason to panic, as long as you were the one to use these applications.

Why does orange dot appear when I make calls? Am I being recorded? How do I stop it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.