Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini pro, monitor

I am thinking of buying the mac mini pro.. Currently have a mid 2011 27"mac , whilst getting a new monitor would be ideal, I can't quite run to the expense.

is there anyway i can use the 27" as a monitor with the mac mini pro?

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 3:10 PM

He is half right. Your old Mid 2011 iMac meets the requirements, problem is that none of the new Mac's meet the requirements for using the iMac as a display.

Please carefully read the Target Display Mode requirements for yourself.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

The key line here is:

• The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2023 3:10 PM in response to thefirstfrogzone

He is half right. Your old Mid 2011 iMac meets the requirements, problem is that none of the new Mac's meet the requirements for using the iMac as a display.

Please carefully read the Target Display Mode requirements for yourself.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

The key line here is:

• The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

Feb 22, 2023 2:55 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks, for your reply, the reason I asked is my son seems to think that they can be used together via Target Display Mode…

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what that is or how it works..

Unfortunately, he’s a ‘Windows’ person, ( I did my best to educate him, honest,). so that maybe something peculiar to windows.

I’ll just have to keep saving !

mac mini pro, monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.