Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice to text Message for punctuation with language said to English in both Siri and dictation

How do I get my punctuation dictation to put in the symbol for period when I say period instead of your dictation writing out the word “period”.

My work around for your serious flaw in iOS 15 or 16 (which was rushed out by Apple) as indicated by all the IOS16.x updates, is to add two keyboards one for English and one for UK English and then say the word “full stop” which now is what you have to say to now add a period (.) to accomplish the task. How messed up is this.

You also have to press and hold the microphone icon and make sure that UK English is checked along with having both UK and USA English keyboard installed.

Without UK English, dictation will not work at all.

I an American and find it extremely offensive to not fix this. If this is a way to get us to go to IOS16.x.x. , I am not at all impressed.

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 3:27 PM

I will dictate the following line, saying “This is a test period.” Here goes:

this is a test.

I am in the U.S. I only use American English.

(iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16.3.1)

Similar questions

1 reply

Voice to text Message for punctuation with language said to English in both Siri and dictation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.