You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot select external microphone from Sound preferences—reverts to internal microphone

I'm trying to use an external microphone that is connected via USB.

When I go to the Sound panel of System Preferences, the external microphone and my iPhone's microphone are both listed among the input devices.

When I click on "USB PnP Audio Device," it is highlighted. However, as soon as I release the mouse button, the highlight reverts to "MacBook Pro Microphone." The same thing happens if I try to select my iPhone's microphone: I can click on it, but it immediately reverts to the internal microphone.

I've tried it with my MacBook open and also closed (clamshell), with the same result.

Thoughts? Solutions?

I'm using a MacBook Pro with Apple silicon (M1) and Ventura 13.1.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 3:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 11:49 AM

Hey J. J.,

Let's start with backing up your Mac and then installing the available macOS updates to 13.2.1. Updates can help by installing bug fixes. Here's a great guide on updating, just in case: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

After updating, connect the USB microphone again to see if it can be selected: Change the sound input settings on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 24, 2023 11:49 AM in response to J. J.

Hey J. J.,

Let's start with backing up your Mac and then installing the available macOS updates to 13.2.1. Updates can help by installing bug fixes. Here's a great guide on updating, just in case: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

After updating, connect the USB microphone again to see if it can be selected: Change the sound input settings on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

Cannot select external microphone from Sound preferences—reverts to internal microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.