Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV+ Subscription Mystery

Calling all Apples! I could well be missing something, but I just can't get my head around my tricky little AppleTV+ subscription I've had for quite a while.

When I select a program that isn't already free for everyone to view, I get the message telling me I need to subscribe - what tha??

With the free content being so brilliant, I'm not sure what the benefits of subscribing really are - or is it just a glitch where somehow or other, my sub isn't being recognised or...something?

Thanks in advance.

FireTVStick4K(2021),

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 12:50 AM

With the Apple TV app on your smart TV or third party streaming device, you can access:

5 replies

Mar 4, 2023 3:06 AM in response to Padmafrench

I'm still a bit stumped as to how the subscription works within this multi-layered beast.

The content that is part of Apple TV+ will have a small logo of Apple TV+ in the corner of the tiles. Other content in the Apple TV app is not part of Apple TV+. Some of that other content may require a different subscription or purchase.

About Apple TV+ - Apple

Apple Originals - Apple TV+ Press

List of Apple TV+ original programming (episodic/series) - Wikipedia

List of Apple TV+ original films - Wikipedia

If your access issue is for Apple TV+ content specifically, then please indicate so. Then we can look into that. (Maybe signing in to the app was unsuccessful, or the subscription is no longer active on that account.)

Note the the Apple TV app on Fire TV devices doesn’t support in-app transactions at this time [2]. Any subscribing/​buying/​renting will have to be done on a different supported device (e.g. iPhone). Once the transaction has been completed, then it will be accessible on Fire TV as well.

Feb 25, 2023 7:48 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

Dear Mr J Burger, thanks for taking the time to reply. Your answer's so clear and succinct and I feel like I should be able to easily understand it but I'm still not getting it. I'm not a tech-head, but I can usually work through these issues - except not this time - so I must be misunderstanding something obvious. Let's see:

• Prior to subscribing (via iPhone, to view shows via Amazon Firestick - firstly on older Samsung, now on new lg tv - in case that's relevant), I was already able to watch Ted Lasso, Dead Horses (or Slow Horses?), Loot, Coda and more for free, without a subscription.
  • After subscribing (which was around early 2022), I can obviously still view the above, but seem to have quite limited access to other content on AppleTV+ and am repeatedly advised to subcribe.
  • I thought with the sub, I'd be able to view most AppleTV+ shows, if not all.
  • Could there be some break or incompatibility due to all the different 'bits of technology' (technical term), involved in what I'm eventually able to eyeball - or not eyeball - that is the question.

Feb 25, 2023 8:29 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Dear Urquhart1244, thanks for taking the time to reply and especially for sending the detailed Wiki lists plus the details on subscribing and on the Apple TV App Channels.

Unfortunately, even with all that excellent info and knowing it should be easy to grasp, I'm still a bit stumped as to how the subscription works within this multi-layered beast (no offence to Apple). Perhaps I'm over-thinking it, but the horrible reality is that I'm no spring chicken these days and this shows me how digitally illiterate I've become.

Hate that - must get up to speed!

Thanks again for replying.

AppleTV+ Subscription Mystery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.