Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login TouchID not working

The fingerprint TouchID to log in to my iMac has stopped working. Passcode is OK, and the fingerprint works for logging in to websites, etc. I tried restarting the iMac which has worked in the past, but that hasn't helped now.

In addition, all the options in the TouchID preference panel are grayed out except the one to delete my fingerprint, with no obvious way to un-gray them. I'm reluctant to delete my fingerprint until I know that I can replace it.

Any thoughts as to what might be the problem?

Thanks,

Paul.

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 9:14 PM

Hi Paul Fryer,

Re: Any thoughts as to what might be the problem?

Seems fingerprints get worn down at times, so is good to have more than one to try.

Some Touch ID situations seem to work more smoothly than others.

Seems as options are greyed, you might need to use your Mac password to make any changes:

As your query is in the "High Sierra" area:

If you are using High Sierra:

Eg: A 2017 user manual Help"at:

https://help.apple.com/machelp/mac/10.12/#/mchl16fbf90a

says:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Touch ID.

Click “Add a fingerprint,” enter your password, then follow the onscreen instructions.

You can add up to three fingerprints to your user account (your Mac can store up to five fingerprints total).

Click the checkboxes to select how you want to use Touch ID:

• Unlocking your Mac: Use Touch ID to unlock this Mac when you wake it from sleep.
  • Apple Pay: Use Touch ID to complete purchases you make on this Mac using Apple Pay.
  • iTunes & App Store: Use Touch ID to complete purchases you make on this Mac from the Apple online stores.

Rename and delete fingerprints

• Rename a fingerprint: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Touch ID. Click the text below a fingerprint, then enter a name.
  • Delete a fingerprint: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Touch ID. Click a fingerprint, enter your password, then click Delete.

If you are indeed using newer software than High Sierra:

See if this article helps at all: You can choose correct Mac OS at the top of article:

Use Touch ID on Mac – Apple Support

All the best :-)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2023 9:14 PM in response to Paul Fryer

Hi Paul Fryer,

Re: Any thoughts as to what might be the problem?

Seems fingerprints get worn down at times, so is good to have more than one to try.

Some Touch ID situations seem to work more smoothly than others.

Seems as options are greyed, you might need to use your Mac password to make any changes:

As your query is in the "High Sierra" area:

If you are using High Sierra:

Eg: A 2017 user manual Help"at:

https://help.apple.com/machelp/mac/10.12/#/mchl16fbf90a

says:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Touch ID.

Click “Add a fingerprint,” enter your password, then follow the onscreen instructions.

You can add up to three fingerprints to your user account (your Mac can store up to five fingerprints total).

Click the checkboxes to select how you want to use Touch ID:

• Unlocking your Mac: Use Touch ID to unlock this Mac when you wake it from sleep.
  • Apple Pay: Use Touch ID to complete purchases you make on this Mac using Apple Pay.
  • iTunes & App Store: Use Touch ID to complete purchases you make on this Mac from the Apple online stores.

Rename and delete fingerprints

• Rename a fingerprint: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Touch ID. Click the text below a fingerprint, then enter a name.
  • Delete a fingerprint: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Touch ID. Click a fingerprint, enter your password, then click Delete.

If you are indeed using newer software than High Sierra:

See if this article helps at all: You can choose correct Mac OS at the top of article:

Use Touch ID on Mac – Apple Support

All the best :-)

Feb 25, 2023 3:16 PM in response to brbo

Thanks brbo for the reply. What I should have included in my original post was that the iMac didn't even give me the option of using a fingerprint - it just allowed me to use the password.

However, I followed your link to the Apple Support document, and then into a buried document, where I found the following suggestion:

"For Magic Keyboard with Touch ID, turn your keyboard off and back on again, then connect your keyboard to your Mac with the USB to Lightning cable. After you've turned Magic Keyboard off and back on again, Touch ID may be unavailable for up to 10 seconds."

Doing this magically got everything working again. No idea why, but I'll keep it in mind for the next time.

Thanks again.

Paul.

Login TouchID not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.