Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot create/change new Apple Music (1.3.3.2) library (on Ventura 13.2.1 iMac), current library in use by a device.

I want to create a new, empty library on my iMac, but after clicking Create Library (after Option-double-clicking Music icon) I get this error:

You cannot change the music library at this time because the current library is in use by a device. Sign in without connected devices to change your music library.

I have turned off WiFi and unplugged all ports (USB, Thunderbolt) in an attempt to "disconnect" all devices, but the same error appears. I don't know how to find the device that's in use to disconnect it. And, does signing out of my Apple ID mean that I can only create a new library using a new and different Apple ID? Confused.

Thanks for the help.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 11:34 AM

It isn't asking you to sign out of your Apple ID, but to restart your computer and then login as normal, but with no (iOS) devices connected. Have you set anything up to sync over Wi-Fi? You might also check your sharing options as an actively shared library may make it harder to create/open a new one.

tt2

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 25, 2023 2:37 AM in response to SteveSWall

A temporary workaround for the device in question is to turn off its Wi-Fi so the Mac doesn't see it. You should be able to connect it via USB and toggle the Wi-Fi sync option on and off again to get it properly turned off.

Try Repair security permissions for iTunes/Music for Mac - Apple Community for the files that won't import. You might try moving or copying tracks into the Automatically Add to Music folder inside the media folder instead of using drag & drop.

tt2

Feb 25, 2023 10:17 AM in response to turingtest2

I have tried your great article a few times now. (Repair security permissions for iTunes/Music for Mac). At first, unlocking the iTunes & its sub- folders worked. a handful of days later (after I've been futzing) this step no longer works and I must check the "Ignore ownership on this volume box" to avoid the error -54 write problem. I'll search for the Terminal command to find locked files, but I thought that's what the unlock check box did?

Maybe after I run a Disk Util or reboot the permissions problem re-occurs. And still struggling to find where and how artwork is stored - or at least the best way to add it back to my files and have to stick around.

Thanks for the help.

Feb 24, 2023 2:48 PM in response to turingtest2

OK. That worked great! THANKS! [I have an iPad that continues to show up in Music via WiFi, even though I have it unchecked to not connect to it. Wish I could fix this. Starting over with a new library may help.]

New question (probably should start another thread) I have "keep library organized" and am dragging one folder of music at a time into my brand new library (to troubleshoot many Sync issues). The first file is from a folder call _ _ (2 underscores, weird name) - even though the lone music file in it is a properly tagged AAC song by Edwin Starr. I've tried a few ways to force this to update, but no go.

Any ideas on this strangeness? There's a few dozen folders with strange names like this - may be the cause of other issues. The other thousands of folders seem to have well behaved names.

Cannot create/change new Apple Music (1.3.3.2) library (on Ventura 13.2.1 iMac), current library in use by a device.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.