Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Junk-Mail Settings in iOS Mail App -- Are There Any?

I'm not using iCloud, just pre-existing POP3 mail accounts. I want an efficient way to automatically identify junk mail and move it to a "Junk" folder. Ideally I could set up a "white list" that would include addresses in my contacts plus any new sources of mail that I identify as "not junk."

There does seem to be effectively a "black list," to which you can move inbox messages indicated as junk by swiping them somehow; but even if that works, it's still not want I'm looking for. -- JCW6

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 9:48 AM

There is no junk or spam folder for POP3 accounts; the POP3 protocol (which dates from 1988, and is thus 35 years old) does not support folders. If you want folders you will have to set up the account as IMAP.

Junk mail filtering, to be effective, must be done on the email server, so see what spam filtering features are offered by your email provider.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2023 9:48 AM in response to JCW6

There is no junk or spam folder for POP3 accounts; the POP3 protocol (which dates from 1988, and is thus 35 years old) does not support folders. If you want folders you will have to set up the account as IMAP.

Junk mail filtering, to be effective, must be done on the email server, so see what spam filtering features are offered by your email provider.

Feb 25, 2023 12:24 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence -- Thanks for your quick response!

One follow-up: Although I do understand that filtering is best done on the server, I've been using POP3 accounts for many years in Outlook (now vs. 2019) on my PC. Server filtering can be inconvenient because of the need to check the server(s) periodically for filtered mail.

On the other hand, Outlook has always happily applied a white list to those accounts and directed other incoming mail into its Junk Email folder, so I'm a bit confused by your answer.

Best Regards -- JCW2

Junk-Mail Settings in iOS Mail App -- Are There Any?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.