Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPadOS Keynote video playback

I have no controls for my embedded videos on keynote slides on my iPad Pro. The videos start, and when I stop them the presentation automatically goes to the next slide. I am unable to pause on a particular scene or use a playbar to scan to a scene/rewatch. This is either a giant oversight, or a setting that I’m missing somewhere. There must be some way of showing the play bar on iOS. Can someone help?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 2:18 PM

4 replies

Feb 26, 2023 2:58 PM in response to Greg Knollmeyer

Hello Greg Knollmeyer,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. 

We understand that you are not seeing playback controls and when you stop or pause the video, it keeps playing. We’re happy to help.

We recommend these steps for adding video in Keynote: Add video and audio in Keynote on iPad - Apple Support

"Add video and audio in Keynote on iPad

You can add video and audio to a slide, or replace a media placeholder with a video. When you show the slide during a presentation, by default the video and audio plays when you tap anywhere on the slide. You can set video or audio looping, or set the start time to make the media files play automatically when the slide appears. You can also add a soundtrack that plays for the entire presentation.

Note: Video and audio files must be in a format that QuickTime supports on your device. If you can’t add or play a media file, try using iMovie, QuickTime Player, or Compressor on a Mac to convert the file to a QuickTime file (with a .mov filename extension) for video, or an MPEG-4 file (with a .m4a filename extension) for audio.

You can also record video and audio and add it to your presentation.

Add video or audio

1. While viewing Keynote in landscape orientation, tap the Insert Media button in the toolbar.
  2. Tap Photo or Video; to insert media from iCloud or another service, tap “Insert from.”
  3. Navigate to the file, then tap it.
  4. To resize video, drag any blue dot.
  5. Tap the Play button  on the media to play it.

You can also copy a video file from another presentation or from another application."

You can use the steps here to edit video: Edit video and audio in Keynote on iPad - Apple Support

"Set video or audio looping and starting time

1. Tap the video or audio on the slide to select it.
  2. Tap the Format button, then tap Movie or Audio.
  3. To set when the video or audio starts playing on the slide, choose one of the following:
    • When you tap the slide: Turn on Start on Tap.
    • Automatically when the slide appears: Turn off Start on Tap.
    • Continuously through multiple slide transitions: Turn on Play Across Slides. Video and audio now play continuously even if you change their size and position between consecutive slides. For additional information and templates related to playing video and audio through slide transitions, see this Apple Support article.
    • Restart the video or audio file when a new slide appears: Turn off Play Across Slides.
  1. To set media to repeat until you advance the slide, choose how you want it to play:
    • Play in a continuous loop: Tap Loop.
  • Play forward and then backward: Tap Loop Back and Forth.
    • Note: Recorded audio can’t loop back and forth."

Let us know if you have further questions.

Take care.

Feb 26, 2023 4:53 PM in response to judysings

I do appreciate that someone responded. It's a shame the help was more work than it was worth. I received has been boilerplate non-help that wasted my time re-reading help files I had already consulted just making sure I hadn't missed anything. Then I received a the indirect admission that Keynote can't control playback. In future, you could actually help people with two sentences. Next time try something simple and direct:

We're sorry but keynote on iPad does not allow you to display a playbar and control playback as you would like. We'll add that to the feature request list.

Feb 26, 2023 3:50 PM in response to Greg Knollmeyer

Good afternoon Greg Knollmeyer,

The resource below explains how to play a movie or audio across slides in Keynote. This should be helpful for the embedded videos in your presentation. If you want more control over the video, add an external link to the file so that you control it.

Play a movie or audio across slides in Keynote on iPhone, iPad, or Mac

Take care.

Feb 26, 2023 3:31 PM in response to green500

I’m sorry that does nothing to resolve the issue. Being able to trim a video when adding it to slide is nice, but does not show any playback controls while actually giving the presentation. That’s making it impossible to pause and scroll to look at a video with a group of presenting to. Do you understand my question? This is specifically for Keynote on iPadOS

iPadOS Keynote video playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.