Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Adapter

I bought a Lightning to USB camera adapter from the APPLE Canada store, hoping to be able to take photos from a USB flash drive and upload them onto an iPhone 13 and/or an Ipad 9.

When I plug it into the iPhone, I get this message:

"Cannot Use Accessory."

"This accessory requires too much power."

What gives?

I was assured it would work just fine.

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 3:00 PM

Hello NW2261,

Understandable you'll return the adapter that doesn't work. If it helps, the information below found in the article here: Use Apple USB-A camera adapters with USB-A devices shows the 'Use USB 3 Adapter' can be used to provide more power.

"Use USB 3 Adapter for more power

Some devices need more power than your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can provide. If you connect one of these devices, you might see an alert that says “attached accessory uses too much power." Try one of these steps: 

The Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter has a built-in Lightning port, which you can connect to a USB-A power adapter. This provides power to your iOS device and connected device."

Best.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2023 3:00 PM in response to NW2261

Hello NW2261,

Understandable you'll return the adapter that doesn't work. If it helps, the information below found in the article here: Use Apple USB-A camera adapters with USB-A devices shows the 'Use USB 3 Adapter' can be used to provide more power.

"Use USB 3 Adapter for more power

Some devices need more power than your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can provide. If you connect one of these devices, you might see an alert that says “attached accessory uses too much power." Try one of these steps: 

The Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter has a built-in Lightning port, which you can connect to a USB-A power adapter. This provides power to your iOS device and connected device."

Best.

Feb 27, 2023 12:16 PM in response to NW2261

Hi NW2261,

Is the USB drive you're wanting to transfer data off of an external hard drive? Or a physically larger drive? In some cases, usually for external hard drives a power source is also required to power the drive. The iPhone won't provide enough power to do that.

See more info here, particularly the note at the bottom:

You can use the Files app  and other supported apps to access files stored on external devices, such as USB drives and SD cards, connected to your iPhone.

Connect a USB drive or an SD card reader

1. Attach the USB drive or SD card reader to the charging port on your iPhone using a compatible connector or adapter.
  2. You may need the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, or Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader (all sold separately).
  3. Note: A USB drive must have only a single data partition, and it must be formatted as FAT, FAT32, exFAT (FAT64), or APFS. To change the formatting of a USB drive, use a Mac or PC.
  4. Do any of the following:
  • Insert an SD memory card into a card reader: Don’t force the card into the slot on the reader; it fits only one way.
    • Note: You can import photos and videos from the memory card directly to the Photos app. See Import photos and videos on iPhone.
    • View the contents of the drive or memory card: In a supported app (for example, Files), tap Browse at the bottom of the screen, then tap the name of the device below Locations. If you don’t see Locations, tap Browse again at the bottom of the screen.
    • Disconnect the drive or card reader: Remove it from the charging port on iPhone.

Note: The Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter can be powered with a USB power adapter. This allows you to connect USB devices with higher power requirements, such as external hard drives, to iPhone.

Cheers!

Feb 27, 2023 2:50 PM in response to DerekM87

I tried 2 different small USB 2.0 Flash drives - neither will work.

I am taking the Adapter back to the APPLE store on Wednesday.

The guy that sold it to me assured me that it would work.

I tried this adapter in an Iphone 13 and an Ipad 9 with the same results.

I do not know how you could use a portable SSD to connect to an Ipad for back-up (unless wireless).

I am not totally convinced on all these APPLE products.

BTW, thanks kindly for your reply.

USB Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.