Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"the installation failed." errors installing ANY .pkg file.

I recently updated my Mac to Ventura 13.2.1 - After that, I have not been able to install any software from .pkg files. Every installation ends with "The installation failed." error.

At first I thought this was a problem with the software in question, but even .pkg files I've used before give me trouble.

I've included a screenshot from trying to install Zoom, but this is happening with EVERY attempt to install an app from a .pkg file.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 10:26 AM

Yup! Every .PKG file I’ve tried to install has given me the same error.

i found the fix however !

navigated to System Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Full Disk Access and toggled it for “installer”. Now pkg files install as expected. Phew! Thanks!

4 replies

Feb 25, 2023 10:23 AM in response to J. Pierce

J. Pierce wrote:

I recently updated my Mac to Ventura 13.2.1 - After that, I have not been able to install any software from .pkg files. Every installation ends with "The installation failed." error.

At first I thought this was a problem with the software in question, but even .pkg files I've used before give me trouble.

I've included a screenshot from trying to install Zoom,

but this is happening with EVERY attempt to install an app from a .pkg file.

Independent of your Zoom—are you saying every application you try to install you can not...?

Are you admin...is this a personal machine or bound to some Enterprise, JAMF, MDM, active directory list (?)

Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support

Open a Mac app from an unidentified developer - Apple Support

for your third party app If in doubt— refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility /updates

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

ref

Installing the Zoom application on macOS

Zoom Support

Contact Zoom Support

"the installation failed." errors installing ANY .pkg file.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.