Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my airtag not compatible with a variety Energizer batteries. Is this a design flaw?

I have tried two different 2032 Energizer Duracell type batteries and they will not work with my with any of my Airtags? What kind of batteries will work? This problem is very perplexing. Could this be a design issue?

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 12:26 PM

Sounds like you’ve encountered the insulating, child-protecting “Bitterant” coating common on Duracell batteries.

Simply use a battery without the coating. (e.g. Energizer)

How to replace the battery in your AirTag - Apple Support

There have been reports that the coating can be successfully removed w/ acetone. (a.k.a. “nail-polish remover”)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2023 12:26 PM in response to b-5Creator

Sounds like you’ve encountered the insulating, child-protecting “Bitterant” coating common on Duracell batteries.

Simply use a battery without the coating. (e.g. Energizer)

How to replace the battery in your AirTag - Apple Support

There have been reports that the coating can be successfully removed w/ acetone. (a.k.a. “nail-polish remover”)

Why is my airtag not compatible with a variety Energizer batteries. Is this a design flaw?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.