IPhone Calendar crashes when adding location

This issue started maybe a month ago but maybe sooner. Whenever I try to enter a location, the calendar app crashes. I have restarted, reset network location services, removed the app and reinstalled, updated to the most recent software, and chatted with Support all to no avail.

After trial-and-error, I discovered the issue does not occur if I have iCloud as the default calendar. But I do not want iCloud as the default calendar because that means I have to change the Calendar whenever I create a New Event to the one I want.

This is very frustrating, and it seems something changed to cause this glitch. Does anyone have any suggestions or does anyone know if Apple is working on this issue?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 12:13 PM

9 replies

Apr 20, 2023 4:34 AM in response to Macshel

Our team has observed similar behaviour, and I could reproduce it systematically on iPhone, with iOS 15.5, as well as the latest 16.4.1.

I tried steps suggested in another seemingly related question (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254523937) (Update OS, Enable Location Services, reinstall Calendar), and none worked.

The issue arose first on 19 Jan 2023, reported by one of our users. It was reported again today, which led me to posting here.

I will provide the TLDR (Prerequisites/Symptoms/Workarounds) in this post, and additional details if necessary.

Prerequisites:

The bug occurs when the following 3 conditions are true:

• Skype for iPhone/iPad is installed
  • Facetime is active and configured using the AppleID
  • You are working on a mail+calendar account mounted via ActiveSync (CalDAV worked fine, iCloud too, though the initial post here would suggest this is not true in general)

Symptoms:

When trying to add a location to an event, both on new events or when editing an already existing event:

1. edit an event, or create a new event
  2. click on the field "Location or Video call"
  3. You should see a search bar on top, and a selection of Skype and Facetime under "Video Call"
  4. In normal behaviour, a list of recent locations should display below the "Video Call" apps. This is not the case when in the buggy state
  5. Select the Search bar "Enter Location or Video Call"
  6. As soon as you type any character, the app crashes, and you are back on your home screen

Workaround:

If Skype is not needed, uninstall

If FaceTime is not needed, deconfigure (in Settings>Facetime, the Checkmark button "FaceTime" is checked off)

If both are needed:

Instead of going from 2 -> 6 as in the "Symptoms", do the following:

2. click on the field "Location or Video call"

3'. Select FaceTime as app for Video Call

4'. Click on the location options again (click on "FaceTime(Video Call)" in your Event, which you added undr "Title" in the previous step)

5'. Add your desired location in the "Location:" field. Your recent locations will now correctly display

6'. Remove FaceTime from your event (click on the grey cross on the right)

If you want more details, or would prefer me to post this somewhere else, please let me know.

Mar 13, 2023 8:44 AM in response to Rhey69

I have the same issue (iPhone 12, iOS 16.3.1) but my workaround is different. I did a restore and during the restore i found that the calendar app was working OK. After the restore ended and all the apps were restored i found that the calendar app would crash again when entering a location. I saw that the only difference was a Facetime icon that has been added to the location (video conference). I disabled Facetime and i could add locations again. Not the most convinient work around but for now it works.

IPhone Calendar crashes when adding location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.