Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How in the world do you get the sim card tray open?

I bought a new iPhone SE at the Apple store today. Brought it home and transferred everything over from the old phone to the new one. When I went to transfer the SIM card, though, I could not get the SIM tray open on the new phone. I tried everything. Tried the tool that came with the new phone. The tool that came with the old phone. A paperclip. That tray would not budge. In the end I gave up. Fortunately I was able to transfer my number to the new phone using the built-in esim. But I never could get the SIM tray to open, after spending a good 30 minutes or more on it. Anybody have an idea on how to open it?

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 7:27 PM

I followed the direction in this document: Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPhone - Apple Support

It can be a bit of a struggle and if need be, take it back to the Apple Store and let them do it for you.

6 replies

Feb 27, 2023 8:51 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Aye, both the one-year base warranty, any extended AppleCare+ coverage acquired*, plus you have 14 days to return the product no questions asked. If they can't get it open, you should get one that can.

Just be sure to back up the device and should an exchange be warranted, be sure to wipe it clean before handing it over (Settings / General / Transfer or Reset Phone / Erase All Content and Settings ).

*Now that you've experienced your first iPhone Scare might consider getting AppleCare+ if you haven't already. That will get you a new device should anything awry happen to the current one, for a service fee. Can add AC+ to an iPhone within the 60 days after getting it.

How in the world do you get the sim card tray open?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.