Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Keychain Access - Unexpected Error" (MacBook Pro)

Using Catalina 10.15.7 on a MacBook Pro 13". Whenever I launch Keychain access, I get the same error when trying to search for a keychain. See attached screenshot:

Would love some advice on how to fix this. Thanks in advance..!

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 9:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 10:41 AM

An extra piece of new info. It turns out the unexpected errors are specific to one kind of keychain called, "Preferred Thread network Record". These items take the same name as the regular keychain item.

For example, I have one keychain for my router, with the name "Router", and the kind is "AirPort network password" . There are three more items with the same name (Router) that are all 'preferred thread network record' kind of keychains. Selecting any of those pops up the "unexpected error".

If one of those exists for a keychain, and I search that keychain, I'll also get the error, as if I had selected the "preferred thread" version. I get a couple of different error details for those.

Otherwise, I don't get the error. Those 'network Record' keychains are sprinkled throughout my keychain list. I don't know where they came from, but something isn't right.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 27, 2023 10:41 AM in response to Robinson Collins

An extra piece of new info. It turns out the unexpected errors are specific to one kind of keychain called, "Preferred Thread network Record". These items take the same name as the regular keychain item.

For example, I have one keychain for my router, with the name "Router", and the kind is "AirPort network password" . There are three more items with the same name (Router) that are all 'preferred thread network record' kind of keychains. Selecting any of those pops up the "unexpected error".

If one of those exists for a keychain, and I search that keychain, I'll also get the error, as if I had selected the "preferred thread" version. I get a couple of different error details for those.

Otherwise, I don't get the error. Those 'network Record' keychains are sprinkled throughout my keychain list. I don't know where they came from, but something isn't right.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Apr 10, 2023 10:16 AM in response to nihatfromistanbul

The same for me!!

Since some versions of macOS (I think Monterey or earlier!).

I have a thread network with ~90 HomeKit-devices (from Eve Systems) and think it has to do with that. My thread network is extremely unstable, so I came to the Keychain Problem with my analysis …

Do you also have a thread network? (A HomePod mini, HomePod 2. generation or AppleTV 4K (or newer) are sufficient to have a thread network.)

Apple Care is not able to solve :(

"Keychain Access - Unexpected Error" (MacBook Pro)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.