Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 14 Pro Max battery health

Hello,

I bought iPhone 14 pro max only 2 months ago, I don`t charge it full - until 100%, also I don`t use phone, when it`s law than 20%, but its battery health is already on 98%. I`m too much dissapointed, because I buy new models every year and this is the first time my phone`s battery health dicreased so fast.

I think phone has some problem. Please, provide me with some informtaion - why battery health of my phone has changed so fast?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 11:33 AM

salo22 wrote:

Thank you for your prompt answer.

I have iPhone 13 Pro max as well, I used it for 6 months with same usage as 14 Pro max and it has 100%. How can we explain this case?

The basic explanation is that your iPhone 13 Pro Max is performing better than Apple’s specification for the battery. A battery is a chemical device, and chemistry is generally pretty variable and uncertain, as well as being analog, not digital. Apple specs the battery capacity to remain above 80% for 500 full charge cycles, but that is a minimum requirement; there is no published maximum expected capacity. So sometimes batteries will perform much better than that minimum specification, and sometimes the change in maximum capacity won't be linear because of the chemical nature of batteries.

All iPhones have a specification for the battery. As an example, for the XS Max that is 3174 milliampere-hours (MaH). So the battery monitor is calibrated for 100% at that value. But there are variations in manufacturing, so some batteries will have less capacity, and some will have more. Suppose your battery had, say, 3474 MaH capacity (10% over standard). That would still show as 100% (even though it was actually 110%), but as it aged the health would stay at 100% until it fell below 3174 MaH. This would appear to you as if your battery had fabulous life. 

You are not using the optimum battery management best practice, however, which may also affect your maximum capacity. The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2023 11:33 AM in response to salo22

salo22 wrote:

Thank you for your prompt answer.

I have iPhone 13 Pro max as well, I used it for 6 months with same usage as 14 Pro max and it has 100%. How can we explain this case?

The basic explanation is that your iPhone 13 Pro Max is performing better than Apple’s specification for the battery. A battery is a chemical device, and chemistry is generally pretty variable and uncertain, as well as being analog, not digital. Apple specs the battery capacity to remain above 80% for 500 full charge cycles, but that is a minimum requirement; there is no published maximum expected capacity. So sometimes batteries will perform much better than that minimum specification, and sometimes the change in maximum capacity won't be linear because of the chemical nature of batteries.

All iPhones have a specification for the battery. As an example, for the XS Max that is 3174 milliampere-hours (MaH). So the battery monitor is calibrated for 100% at that value. But there are variations in manufacturing, so some batteries will have less capacity, and some will have more. Suppose your battery had, say, 3474 MaH capacity (10% over standard). That would still show as 100% (even though it was actually 110%), but as it aged the health would stay at 100% until it fell below 3174 MaH. This would appear to you as if your battery had fabulous life. 

You are not using the optimum battery management best practice, however, which may also affect your maximum capacity. The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Feb 26, 2023 11:02 AM in response to salo22

There is nothing wrong with your battery.

Batteries degrade over time with usage due to chemical aging, that's just how they work.

You can expect about a 1% drop per month with average use on an iPhone.

Apple recommends replacing it when it reaches 80%. To check your battery health, go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health.

iPhone Battery Replacement.

iPhone Battery Repair & Replacement - Apple Support

About Lithium Ion Batteries

iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support (IN)

Here are some tips on maximizing battery life.

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Feb 26, 2023 11:31 AM in response to salo22

salo22 wrote: "...I have iPhone 13 Pro max as well, I used it for 6 months with same usage as 14 Pro max and it has 100%. How can we explain this case?"

Nobody here can explain your iPhone 13 Pro Max's impressive battery capacity. One possibility of several is that the algorithm which calculates that % for particular iPhone models has a bug.

The algorithm for your iPhone 14 Pro Max is working perfectly: Down 2% in 2 months.

õ¿õ¬

iPhone 14 Pro Max battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.