Can't install any app

Hi, I've been having an issue installing apps outside of the App Store. I've tried with Zoom, OneDrive and NordVPN, and in every single one of them I get the same error message: "The installation failed. The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

Does anybody know how to fix this? It's super annoying not to be able to install apps.

Thanks!

MacBook, macOS 11.0

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 8:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 8:40 AM

Hey guys,

After trying a lot of different things and searching in every thread I could find, I was able to solve the issue.

I was running the latest version of MacOS, so that wasn’t the problem.

There are 2 things that worked for me, both apply to the issue:

1. Move the installer out of the Downloads folder. I don’t know why this folder doesn’t have permission to install apps. I moved the installer to my Desktop, and it finally worked well.
  2. Create another Admin user, and install the app from that user (you can delete it afterwards).

Hope it helps!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2023 8:40 AM in response to aha009

Hey guys,

After trying a lot of different things and searching in every thread I could find, I was able to solve the issue.

I was running the latest version of MacOS, so that wasn’t the problem.

There are 2 things that worked for me, both apply to the issue:

1. Move the installer out of the Downloads folder. I don’t know why this folder doesn’t have permission to install apps. I moved the installer to my Desktop, and it finally worked well.
  2. Create another Admin user, and install the app from that user (you can delete it afterwards).

Hope it helps!

Feb 28, 2023 4:25 PM in response to matiasangeles

Hey matiasangeles,

We’d be happy to help out. If you’re unable to install apps on your Mac from outside the App Store, you might need to update your Mac if it’s compatible with a newer version of macOS. We notice you’re currently running macOS 11 Big Sur and the software you’re installing might require something newer.

For help getting updated, check out these steps:

Use Software Update
Before following these steps, it's a good idea to back up your Mac.
1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Settings or System Preferences.
• If you chose System Settings, click General on the left side of the window. Then click Software Update on the right.
• If you chose System Preferences, click Software Update in the window.
2. Software Update then checks for new software. 
• If Software Update finds new software, click the button to install it. The button might be named Update Now, Upgrade Now, Install Now, or Restart Now, for example. You might then be asked to enter your administrator password.
• If Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then no new software is currently available for your Mac model. Software Update shows only software that is compatible with your Mac.
Software Update window in macOS Monterey

This is outlined further here: Update macOS on Mac

We hope this helps out.

Take care!

Apr 29, 2023 8:27 AM in response to aha009

Not from Apple but the other person's response gave me an idea. Did you download the installer straight to Desktop by any chance, or otherwise normally install from Desktop?

I just tried moving a file from Desktop to Documents and when run from there the installation actually worked from my normal account.

Next time I'm going to try downloading to Downloads then moving to Desktop to see what happens.

Can't install any app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.