Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i movei

iMovie giving me a message that says “ you cannot add video clips to existing audio-only compound clips” every time I try to add a photo to a slideshow. It will not let me add anything.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 10:03 AM

The problem that you describe has been reported by several other posters on this board. I have not seen a solution as yet. Final Cut Pro does have a compound clip feature, but iMovie does not. So I am at a loss as to why you are getting the compound clip error message. Do you have Final Cut Pro on your Mac by any chance?

Try creating a new project and see if the issue occurs there.

You could also try deleting preferences by opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new blank library. Create a project in the new blank library and see if if you can add your video clips without getting the compound clips error message. To get back to your old projects, close iMovie and open it in your current current library that contains your projects. Now see if your project works correctly.

If still no luck, try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed,

including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

Failing that, try contacting Apple Support and talking to the savvy techs there. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer, that we cannot do here. To reach Support, click on the Support item in the menu bar at the top of this forum's screen and navigate to a place where you can enter your telephone number.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2023 10:03 AM in response to bahattinme

The problem that you describe has been reported by several other posters on this board. I have not seen a solution as yet. Final Cut Pro does have a compound clip feature, but iMovie does not. So I am at a loss as to why you are getting the compound clip error message. Do you have Final Cut Pro on your Mac by any chance?

Try creating a new project and see if the issue occurs there.

You could also try deleting preferences by opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new blank library. Create a project in the new blank library and see if if you can add your video clips without getting the compound clips error message. To get back to your old projects, close iMovie and open it in your current current library that contains your projects. Now see if your project works correctly.

If still no luck, try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed,

including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

Failing that, try contacting Apple Support and talking to the savvy techs there. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer, that we cannot do here. To reach Support, click on the Support item in the menu bar at the top of this forum's screen and navigate to a place where you can enter your telephone number.

-- Rich

i movei

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.