Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The volume on disk0 couldn’t be unmounted because it is in use by process 0 (kernel)

I have taken my machine to a local pc repair shop and they have told me that this is basically scrap metal at this point.

Basically I had unmounted the hard drive and then tried to mount it back on before I decided that it might be a good idea to just revert the changes I made by doing a factory reset. Well after going into recovery mode I noticed my drives were not showing up and when I followed the instructions to delete the drive I would get the error on the subject “The volume on disk0 couldn’t be unmounted because it is in use by process 0 (kernel)”

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 1:41 PM

It appears your pictures are from an Apple Silicon Mac. Here is an Apple article with instructions for erasing the "Macintosh HD" & "Macintosh HD - Data" volumes and deleting the Volume Group which can be done from Recovery Mode or by creating & booting a macOS USB installer (the USB option requires modifying the Mac's security settings to allow booting from USB).

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

Another way of erasing an Apple Silicon Mac is by "Restoring" the firmware which resets the security enclave and pushes a clean copy of macOS to the internal SSD destroying all existing data on the internal SSD. This option requires access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+ and an Apple USB-C charging cable.

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

FYI, you really need to post the exact model of your Mac and version of macOS being used. Plus your pictures are cut off not revealing all the information. If it wasn't for the reference to "Apple Fabric" I would not have known this is an Apple Silicon Mac.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2023 1:41 PM in response to Gustavo0777

It appears your pictures are from an Apple Silicon Mac. Here is an Apple article with instructions for erasing the "Macintosh HD" & "Macintosh HD - Data" volumes and deleting the Volume Group which can be done from Recovery Mode or by creating & booting a macOS USB installer (the USB option requires modifying the Mac's security settings to allow booting from USB).

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

Another way of erasing an Apple Silicon Mac is by "Restoring" the firmware which resets the security enclave and pushes a clean copy of macOS to the internal SSD destroying all existing data on the internal SSD. This option requires access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+ and an Apple USB-C charging cable.

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

FYI, you really need to post the exact model of your Mac and version of macOS being used. Plus your pictures are cut off not revealing all the information. If it wasn't for the reference to "Apple Fabric" I would not have known this is an Apple Silicon Mac.

Mar 5, 2023 4:16 PM in response to Gustavo0777

You cannot erase the drive you are booted from. You must be booted from another macOS bootable media (Recovery Mode, USB installer, or external drive). Read the articles I posted carefully on how to erase this Mac...you may need to follow other links in those articles to get all the instructions for erasing the drive.

If you are booted from such external media and are still having issues, then you will need to use the "Restore" firmware option which I linked in my previous post. The "Restore" option will properly configure the internal drive and push a clean OS onto the internal SSD. If you don't have access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+, then you will have to take the laptop to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them perform the "Restore" procedure for you.

Feb 27, 2023 5:18 PM in response to Gustavo0777

First off, is there any data on the drive you want to recover?

How old is the computer?

Use https://checkcoverage.apple.com to age the machine based on the serial number. The serial number, which should NOT be posted on Apple Support Communities, is on the underside of Apple's laptop.

Any machine newer than July 22, 2011 can completely erase the hard drive and start over at the oldest system the Mac came with. Which is why I ask if there is any data you want to recover.

If not:

command-option-shift-R boots the computer in internet recovery. Connect to a secure WiFi, or if you have the appropriate adapters to ethernet.

Upon loading recovery use Disk Utility to View menu -> Show All Volumes.

Select the top most volume in the Disk Utility. Then hit erase. Erase as HFS Extended GUID, unless your Mac is newer than High Sierra's September 25, 2017 release. In which case, you'll erase as APFS.

After the erase, run the installer from recovery.

If you do need to recover information, http://www.drivesavers.com/ is expensive but can usually succeed where others have failed.

The volume on disk0 couldn’t be unmounted because it is in use by process 0 (kernel)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.