Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWatch Series 8

I just recently got an Apple Watch series 8. Whenever I receive a notification And I’m not using either device I only hear a ring on my Apple Watch but I don’t hear or see anything on my iPhone. How can it be possible to sound on both or just my iPhone when I receive a text or email or any other notification? I don't wat to keep going to wrist detection because that turns off sleep detection and other features. I want sound notifications on my phone.

Apple Watch Series 8, watchOS 9

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 4:58 AM

Notifications (Sounds, Haptics and Banners)

Apart from actual phone calls which ring on both by default, the Sounds and haptic notifications and banners for messages etc follow these rules…

~ If the phone is in use (open) then you get notifications on the phone only. Messages and Mail still appear silently on the Watch in the relevant app without banner..

~ If the phone is locked you get notifications on the Watch only. If you have notifications set for iPhone Lock Screen or Notification center they still go to the phone, but silently without banner. 

~ If you go into each notification type and use Custom and disallow notifications, then the alerts and banners go to the phone always and not to the Watch

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2023 4:58 AM in response to Booda1960

Notifications (Sounds, Haptics and Banners)

Apart from actual phone calls which ring on both by default, the Sounds and haptic notifications and banners for messages etc follow these rules…

~ If the phone is in use (open) then you get notifications on the phone only. Messages and Mail still appear silently on the Watch in the relevant app without banner..

~ If the phone is locked you get notifications on the Watch only. If you have notifications set for iPhone Lock Screen or Notification center they still go to the phone, but silently without banner. 

~ If you go into each notification type and use Custom and disallow notifications, then the alerts and banners go to the phone always and not to the Watch

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

iWatch Series 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.