Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to unlock iPad from deceased relative

Hello my father-n-law purchased an ipad back in 2020 but he passed away soon after. We have no idea what his password or userid is. We have his ipad and the box it came in. I was told to go through the request access to a deceased family member's Apple account, but that is a really long process. Are there no other options?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 2:13 PM

Unfortunately, the iPad has a passcode which can’t be bypassed; even by Apple …

… and resetting the device will “activation lock” it because it’s still tied to your Father-in-Law’s AppleID.

So … getting control of his AppleID is “key.”

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

UNLESS your Father-in-Law designated a “Legacy Contact” from his device, I’m afraid the process you described - and linked above - is the ONLY way to re-utilize that device.

Info on Legacy Contact is provided below; perhaps he designated someone who doesn’t remember being so-designated. Ask likely “candidates.” Maybe his attorney or designated executor.

How to add a Legacy Contact for your Apple ID - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2023 2:13 PM in response to deana111

Unfortunately, the iPad has a passcode which can’t be bypassed; even by Apple …

… and resetting the device will “activation lock” it because it’s still tied to your Father-in-Law’s AppleID.

So … getting control of his AppleID is “key.”

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

UNLESS your Father-in-Law designated a “Legacy Contact” from his device, I’m afraid the process you described - and linked above - is the ONLY way to re-utilize that device.

Info on Legacy Contact is provided below; perhaps he designated someone who doesn’t remember being so-designated. Ask likely “candidates.” Maybe his attorney or designated executor.

How to add a Legacy Contact for your Apple ID - Apple Support

How to unlock iPad from deceased relative

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.