You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't turn off spell checking in Messenger

This is a question that has arisen before, but after a lot of searching I haven't found an answer and fear there may not be one. I was just now typing a message in Esperanto in the Messenger app (97.11.116, Ventura 13.2.1, M2 MacBook Air), was annoyed by the spell-check red underlines and wanted to turn them off, but I couldn't. I saw advice from Apple that if an app itself doesn't have a spell-checking option (which Messenger doesn't, as far as I can tell), it can be turned off in System Preferences (Settings) > Keyboard > Text input > Input Sources > Edit > Correct spelling automatically. But I already had this turned off, and I'm getting spell checking in Messenger regardless. I sent this in as feedback to Messenger, but if anyone here can tell me how to get this turned off in Messenger I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 10:09 AM

11 replies

Mar 2, 2023 3:49 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks Tom Gewecke, the problem is now solved. I was going to re-download the app from both the App Store and Facebook, but it seemed like I had to install it when I downloaded it from the App Store so I did, and then I had the missing options with all three turned off and didn't have the unwanted spell checking anymore. It was your perhaps unintentional suggestion that I re-download the program that did the trick.

Mar 2, 2023 9:47 AM in response to roy_mccoy

Then boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and make sure the setting is still off and test it. Then reboot normally and test again..

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Mar 1, 2023 5:00 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, but that's what I said: "System Preferences (Settings) > Keyboard > Text input > Input Sources > Edit > Correct spelling automatically". That's turned off and was turned off when I first went there to fix this. I can try toggling it... but that doesn't help, I have the unwanted red underlines whether the setting is on or off. The setting apparently doesn't apply to Messenger so I suppose it doesn't apply to other apps as well, whether it's said that it does or not. But it seems strange, not being able to turn it off. I just now tried the systemwide setting on my iPhone and it does work with Messenger on that – but apparently not in Ventura on my MacBook Air.

Mar 2, 2023 9:03 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

You scared me there, as I had to think, "Did I not check Messenger preferences?" I had, but the three options below choice of language didn't appear when I did, and they still don't. Could this be because I have "System Language" selected rather than "English (US)"? Let's see... There's no immediately visible change, but it says I have to restart the app. I'll do that... They still aren't there. I'll turn off the wifi, shut down and reboot... Still not there. I already sent this in to Messenger, but there are two Messenger forums on Facebook and I'll write about this problem in these, thanks.

P.S. Unfortunately the Facebook groups called "Messenger" and "Facebook Messenger App" consist of trash having nothing to do with the program, so I'm not going to get any help there and the problem remains unresolved. I don't suppose anyone seeing this knows how to make the three missing options appear, but thanks anyway.

Can't turn off spell checking in Messenger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.