You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Remote app not showing Apple Music library tracks via home sharing

I use my desktop Apple Music app to run lossless hifi streams through an external DAC and into my hifi system. The computer is not located where I sit to listen, so I am trying to control what the computer plays, via my iPhone, from the couch where I listen.

This was working fine – as of a couple days ago I used the iTunes Remote app connected via home sharing mode to play Apple Music tracks in my desktop Music library. When I saved new albums in Apple Music, they appeared in iTunes Remote too. However this feature has stopped working. Now when I connect to my library via home sharing, I can only see songs that I previously owned a downloaded copy of. None of my Apple Music lossless tracks appear in this home sharing library anymore.

Things I've tried to get this working again...

1. rebuilding the entire music library in a new folder including moving all files to new drive, consolidating and organizing the files, etc
  2. downloading every single Apple Music track saved in my library to my desktop in lossless format so there is a local file
  3. signing out and back in on all devices under the same apple ID repeatedly
  4. deleting and reinstalling iTunes Remote on my iPhone
  5. connecting iTunes Remote manually with the code vs home sharing (this never actually connects, just says it is connecting...)
  6. manually updating my cloud library and genius via Music app on desktop app

Basically at my wits end trying to control what my account on my computer plays, through my phone. Spotify lets you do this SO EASILY from any device. They just have crappy quality files.

Confused as to why this all worked, and suddenly doesn't work anymore. Any thoughts from the community?

Mac mini (2023 with M2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 10:51 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

iTunes Remote app not showing Apple Music library tracks via home sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.