Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incoming WhatsApp messages pausing Apple Music

I'm an Apple Music subscriber, running the app on an iPhone 13 Max, iOS 16.3.1

I'm currently streaming my music via Bluetooth to a portable speaker.

I've recently noticed that incoming WhatsApp messages are causing the Apple Music streaming to pause. It can be resumed simply by hitting the Apple Music "play" button.

(Note that simple reactions/likes to my WhatsApp texts do not cause this problem - only full inbound text messages)

I've tried turning off various features of (and ultimately all) WhatsApp notifications but with no success.

I don't see any Apple Music or Bluetooth settings that seem like they could have a bearing on this issue.

I'm pretty convinced this issue has only started recently as I'm very sure I would have noticed it earlier.

Any help or advice from the Community would be much appreciated!

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 10:57 AM

I figured out what was going on, so posting the information here in the hope it might help someone else someday.

I have a laptop on which I had also setup the WhatsApp app ... and which was also actively connected via Bluetooth to the same portable speaker.

For some reason, it was the message hitting the Whatsapp app on the laptop that was somehow interrupting (but not entirely displacing) the connection between the iPhone and the speaker.

I simply disconnected the laptop-speaker Bluetooth connection and the problem resolved.

What blindsided me here is that I'm generally used to Bluetooth connections only supporting one device at a time and completely shutting out all other devices until manually overridden ... clearly my understanding of Bluetooth is not complete as that is not what was happening here.

Anyway - the universe is hopefully a little more enlightened as a result of the above

(The laptop in question is a Windows 11 machine by the way. Not sure if the above issue would have occurred with a Mac)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2023 10:57 AM in response to cjexpat

I figured out what was going on, so posting the information here in the hope it might help someone else someday.

I have a laptop on which I had also setup the WhatsApp app ... and which was also actively connected via Bluetooth to the same portable speaker.

For some reason, it was the message hitting the Whatsapp app on the laptop that was somehow interrupting (but not entirely displacing) the connection between the iPhone and the speaker.

I simply disconnected the laptop-speaker Bluetooth connection and the problem resolved.

What blindsided me here is that I'm generally used to Bluetooth connections only supporting one device at a time and completely shutting out all other devices until manually overridden ... clearly my understanding of Bluetooth is not complete as that is not what was happening here.

Anyway - the universe is hopefully a little more enlightened as a result of the above

(The laptop in question is a Windows 11 machine by the way. Not sure if the above issue would have occurred with a Mac)

Incoming WhatsApp messages pausing Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.