Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Storage in iCloud

I want to consolidate all my photo storage into iCloud. The idea of having all photos available on all devices is alluring but 20 plus years of digital photos (300 GB) will greatly exceed the storage on my iPad and iPhone. I’ve toggled on “Optimize iPhone Storage” within Photo settings but it’s unclear what impact this has for on-device storage.

So, my question is: If upload all my photos onto iCloud will it consume all of my storage on the handheld devices upon syncing? And, are there any other unintended consequences to be aware of ? Thanks….

iPhone 4s, 9

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 11:44 AM

When you selected "Optimize iPhone Storage", this means that the files actually stored on your iPhone are low-res and smaller MB versions of the files. When you view them, however, they are basically being "streamed" to you, like a song would be, if you didn't download it to your device. So it's a GOOD thing that you decided to do this to save space on your phone.

Syncing your Photos with iCloud does not take up space on your iPhone, but does accumulate space in iCloud (a virtual external hard drive).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2023 11:44 AM in response to Apple-allin

When you selected "Optimize iPhone Storage", this means that the files actually stored on your iPhone are low-res and smaller MB versions of the files. When you view them, however, they are basically being "streamed" to you, like a song would be, if you didn't download it to your device. So it's a GOOD thing that you decided to do this to save space on your phone.

Syncing your Photos with iCloud does not take up space on your iPhone, but does accumulate space in iCloud (a virtual external hard drive).

Photo Storage in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.