Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iCloud photos: Device storage

When i use iCloud to store my Photos it also uses up space on my device. Is it possible to only upload but not having ALL my photos to take up space on my device?

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 9:46 AM

You can turn on the Optimize Storage option to reduce the space taken on a device but you cannot completely remove all storage used on the device.

See the information in the "Turn on Optimize Storage" section of Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2023 9:46 AM in response to Mogalike

You can turn on the Optimize Storage option to reduce the space taken on a device but you cannot completely remove all storage used on the device.

See the information in the "Turn on Optimize Storage" section of Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Oct 20, 2023 10:26 AM in response to Mogalike

Ya, I know about the optimise storage function, but I only have 32gigabyte on my device and most of it goes to systemdata, iOS and a few apps. I’ve got 3gb of photos which I need to keep on the device, but now I’ve run out of space. If I backup my photos with iPhoto, it starts to sync and begin making optimised “copies” on the device, which only makes the problem even worse😩

iCloud photos: Device storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.