Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save space- upload photos to iCloud

I have the option for iCloud photos turned on in Photo Settings but when I look at iPhone storage 61.6GB of 64GB are being used (most of that photos).

I've upgraded my iCloud storage but that hasn't freed up any space on my iPhone.

I have issues with taking pictures, videos and downloading music from Apple Music to my iPhone, I was hoping upgrading my iCloud was the answer.

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on May 11, 2020 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 10:00 PM

I want you to realize and know one important thing and that is that there is NOTHING that you can do to increase the physical storage capacity of your iPhone. Your iPhone's storage capacity will forever remain the same as the day you bought it.

You can purchase ➔ iCloud Storage from Apple where you create and save your iPhone backups and sync (Not Store) your Messages, Photos, Contacts, Calendars, Notes and Reminders. Note that iCloud Storage is NOT an extension of storage capacity of your iPhone. Just wanted you to know some facts.

There is one thing that you can do make space on your iPhone when you save photos in iCloud. This is done by choosing to Optimize iPhone Storage under Photos in Settings.

Open Settings ➔ Photos ➔ Turn ON iCloud Photos ➔ Choose Optimize iPhone Storage

What does is that your iPhone saves the low resolution of your photos while maintaining the original resolution (Larger File) on iCloud. If you are just turning this feature ON then give it some time for the iPhone to connect to WiFi and perform this task overnight.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 10:00 PM in response to RPD83

I want you to realize and know one important thing and that is that there is NOTHING that you can do to increase the physical storage capacity of your iPhone. Your iPhone's storage capacity will forever remain the same as the day you bought it.

You can purchase ➔ iCloud Storage from Apple where you create and save your iPhone backups and sync (Not Store) your Messages, Photos, Contacts, Calendars, Notes and Reminders. Note that iCloud Storage is NOT an extension of storage capacity of your iPhone. Just wanted you to know some facts.

There is one thing that you can do make space on your iPhone when you save photos in iCloud. This is done by choosing to Optimize iPhone Storage under Photos in Settings.

Open Settings ➔ Photos ➔ Turn ON iCloud Photos ➔ Choose Optimize iPhone Storage

What does is that your iPhone saves the low resolution of your photos while maintaining the original resolution (Larger File) on iCloud. If you are just turning this feature ON then give it some time for the iPhone to connect to WiFi and perform this task overnight.

Axel F.

Save space- upload photos to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.