Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to speed up MacBook (2014)

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 7:18 PM

Vessel123 Said:

"How to speed up MacBook (2014)"

-------

Troubleshooting a Lagging Mac:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

B. See if your Hard drive is Failing:

What to Try:

1. Boot: into Recovery ModeGo Here:  How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac- Apple Support
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

C. Remove Login Items:

While in Safe Mode, remove all of your Login Items, and then restart the Mac.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2023 7:18 PM in response to Vessel123

Vessel123 Said:

"How to speed up MacBook (2014)"

-------

Troubleshooting a Lagging Mac:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

B. See if your Hard drive is Failing:

What to Try:

1. Boot: into Recovery ModeGo Here:  How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac- Apple Support
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

C. Remove Login Items:

While in Safe Mode, remove all of your Login Items, and then restart the Mac.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Mar 4, 2023 11:32 AM in response to John Galt

John -- appreciate your help. Before I try the method you suggest I want to establish whether it's my internet connection that's slow or the computer. Also I'm a bit wary that if I follow the steps you suggest and they don't work I'll be in a worse situation. I've used a computer (word processor) since 1982 by I'm still a novice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.