Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Several issues with BOOKS which is a downgrade from using iTunes for audiobooks

Been trying to resolve some questions. I've asked before and trying again.

Typically, I rip audiobook CDs to my MBA and then listen on my phone. In the old day this worked just fine. However, the Books app is optimized for selling content from the Apple web site and much of the old behavior is gone. My questions involve:

1. I used to be able to rip a book into a folder and then synch the folder to my phone. The metadata had the separate disk content follow one another automatically. Now, Books looks at them as separate albums which must be cued up individually. Inconvenient if you are driving.
  2. In the old days, when you inserted a new CD, it would go to the Grace website and populate the metadata - including cover art. Now, we must enter each disk manually, and the cover art is taken from some random podcast in my library.

Anybody know of fixes for these issues?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 2:57 PM

To stop the Books app splitting the book into separate albums, the tracks can be manually joined in the Music app using for example track 1 of 30, track 2 of 30 etc. When all metadata is fixed it can be imported into Books as one.

Here's a user tip you might find useful: Organizing audiobook chapters - Apple Community

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 3, 2023 11:26 AM in response to Lee Rodgers

Can't help you on the album art as I always got it from Goodreads.com and added manually. But for the Book app and uploading a book to my iPhone it's very easy in the Finder. Just select Audiobooks after selecting the iPhone in int sidebar and then check off the books you want to sync.

I rip by books with Audiobook Builder from the App Store to rip and move the audiobooks to the Book library. On the iPhone I use Speedup Player Pro from the App Store.

With iTunes I had a hit or miss with getting album art so I just got used to getting the album cover art from Goodreads.com.

Just some food for thought.

Mar 3, 2023 9:39 PM in response to Lee Rodgers

The files have to be manually managed. Most of the information can be done with the album selected. For example in this screenshot, the author, name of the book and genre, and the amount of tracks is listed with the album selected and control click > get info (the album artwork can also be added at this stage, although for some reason it's not showing, but it is there):

Then using Get Info for each track add the track numbers ie track 1 of 30, track 2 of 30 etc etc etc, as shown in the 2 screenshots below:

The folder can be dragged out of the Music app onto your desktop and imported into the Books app as one album.

Several issues with BOOKS which is a downgrade from using iTunes for audiobooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.