Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay "network problem getting Apple Music"

Every time I ask for a playlist I get a "network problem getting Apple Music" message.

I only ever play music and playlists which are on my iPhone, and so never stream.

This is what happens:

Me "Play Country Playlist".

CarPlay "Country now playing... there was a network problem getting Apple Music..."

...and then it plays the Country Playlist.

So I'm confused - is CarPlay trying to stream from Apple Music? The wifi connection with the iPhone is not an issue as Maps etc. are already running.

It's annoying getting a warning message - when everything is working!

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 2:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 5:36 AM

Well, problem solved.

Although mobile data was turned on for the phone, it also needs to be switched on in Settings > Music.

"Siri, shuffle Taylor Swift". And she gets shuffled. Nice.

9 replies

Mar 6, 2023 12:24 PM in response to Jagmurcredrea

Salutations Jagmurcredrea, 

We’d like to ask you to test while connected to a different network. You mentioned being connected to Wi-Fi, since we’re using CarPlay let’s test while being connected to cellular data instead. You can do that by temporarily disabling Wi-Fi in Control Center or in Settings > Wi-Fi. 

Also, if there is any VPN or third-party security software installed on your device let’s remove that, restart and test again. Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues

Lastly, here are some steps to take when you’re having an issue with CarPlay - If you need help with CarPlay

First, make sure that your country or region supports CarPlay and that your car supports CarPlay. If you're unsure if your car supports CarPlay, contact the vehicle manufacturer.
Make sure that your iPhone has the latest version of iOS. If your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS, follow these steps—checking CarPlay after each step:
1. Check your connection to your CarPlay stereo:
• If you have a wired connection, try connecting again with a different USB cable to a different USB port if you have one.
• If you have a wireless connection, make sure that Bluetooth is turned on on your iPhone under Settings > Bluetooth. Then go to Settings > Wi-Fi, and make sure that Wi-Fi is also turned on. Tap the CarPlay network, and check that Auto-Join is turned on.
2. If CarPlay doesn't activate automatically, look for the CarPlay logo on your car's display and select it.
3. Restart your iPhone and your car. 
4. Make sure that Siri is on.
5. If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions. If Content & Privacy Restrictions is on, tap Allowed Apps, and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.
6. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.
7. Make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information.

If you still have issues connecting to CarPlay, contact Apple Support.

Thanks. 

Mar 7, 2023 4:31 AM in response to mario49

Thanks Mario49 - apologies, I should have been clearer that the iPhone is using cellular when 'on the road', when referring to wifi I meant between the iPhone and my vehicle's inbuilt CarPlay system.

Re VPN, that makes no difference, on or off (it's mostly off) the result is the same. But remember, I am not streaming, just playing from music stored in my iPhone's Music app.

In order:

1. Wireless CarPlay always starts automatically. Wifi and Bluetooth are both on.
  2. -
  3. -
  4. Siri is on, and works - it's always how I choose what to play.
  5. -
  6. -
  7. I will check that next Monday when the car is serviced and get back to you.

To reiterate, I don't have issues connecting to CarPlay, it always connects - it's that I always get an annoying "Country (or whatever) now playing... there was a network problem getting Apple Music...".

Thing is, what "network" is Siri talking about?

One final thought... could Music and/or Siri and/or CarPlay be expecting me to stream from Apple Music (where I don't even have an account) rather than play music stored on my iPhone?

Thanks again!

Mar 9, 2023 3:19 AM in response to AnnieL2

Thanks for that, done it all - no security software other than VPN which is off.

I'm not seeing 'sync library' in settings - I do this via cable with my iMac, wifi sync turned off.

One thought - just been out in the car and I forgot to mention that Music always plays, automatically, from the same point as the end of the previous journey, and never has the 'network' issue. It's only Siri instructions which have the issue.

Mar 7, 2023 10:12 AM in response to Jagmurcredrea

Greetings Jagmurcredrea,

We'll look forward to hearing what happens when you uninstall VPN and security software, restart your device and test again, along with the rest of the troubleshooting steps from the article provided.

You mentioned that you're not an Apple Music subscriber, make sure that in Settings > Music that Sync Library and Apple Music are disabled.

Another thing to check is whether cellular data is enabled in Settings > Music. We ask this just to know whether that might be restricting access to anything causing the message.

Thanks.

CarPlay "network problem getting Apple Music"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.