Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection using Netgear router having this issue?

My question is anybody experiencing issues with their Netgear routers being reset and passwords being messed with? I’ve had this situation and Netgear is just trying to sell me an extended service plan. I am technical enough to figure it out myself, but a lot of people aren’t. Is this the new form of ransom-ware when companies take their clients hostage and offer to fix their problem in a 200.00 service plan question?

Apple Watch, watchOS 4

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 6:54 PM

Again, this isn’t the best spot for NETGEAR support. Some NETGEAR-related forums are probably a better place.

CVEs are published information on security issues found for various products.

Here is a list of all NETGEAR-related CVE security issues:

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=Netgear

All vendors will have CVEs, or will have issues or vulnerabilities that should be CVEs.

Local networking-related hardware preferences are Ubiquiti, Synology, and Zyxel.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2023 6:54 PM in response to dion4photo

Again, this isn’t the best spot for NETGEAR support. Some NETGEAR-related forums are probably a better place.

CVEs are published information on security issues found for various products.

Here is a list of all NETGEAR-related CVE security issues:

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=Netgear

All vendors will have CVEs, or will have issues or vulnerabilities that should be CVEs.

Local networking-related hardware preferences are Ubiquiti, Synology, and Zyxel.

Mar 4, 2023 4:41 PM in response to dion4photo

A forum specializing in NETGEAR Wi-Fi would probably be a better spot to discuss this. (The forum you posted this to is mostly app development questions for third-party app developers, and developer program membership issues. Not the prime place for knowledge of NETGEAR weirdness.)

I’ll assume the NETGEAR Wi-Fi router has been factory reset and the latest firmware loaded, and that the latest firmware update isn’t ancient. If it’s still flaky, it’s usually either the Wi-Fi router itself failing, or maybe interference, or a security issue.

Wi-Fi diagnostics on macOS or on Windows are helpful for spotting common Wi-Fi interference issues. I use the add-on Wi-Fi Explorer app for that purpose on macOS, as the display from that app makes it very easy to see what is going on.

If the Wi-Fi password itself is actually changing, y’all have a local security problem with your hardware access or Apple ID or passwords or such, or have an exploit.

NETGEAR has some CVEs, too. A quick scan finds CVEs from the last couple of years. Current firmware and current device updates matter, here. “Abandoned” devices can have known issues.

Here? I’d consider replacing the Wi-Fi router. USD$200 is most of the way to a nice Synology Wi-Fi router (RT2600ac) with Time Machine support (hard disk drive extra), and there are other good Wi-Fi options available.

There’s no way I’d spend that much for a service plan on an existing and semi-working Wi-Fi router, either.

Mar 4, 2023 6:43 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks, This is affecting my iPhone 12 wifi setting and there wasn't a tab for that on the inbound window.

CVE ?

Correct in assuming all factory reset and updated.

I will check out the Synology. also. This is only a year old so Not a good purchase at $ 380.. Netgear starts selling its support as soon as you open the box.

I received a warning from Xfinity just before all this happened about a problem with Netgear. No answer at Netgear on hold. I gave up at 4 hours.

Thanks for your help..

Connection using Netgear router having this issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.