📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a MacBook Air m1 2020 but bootcamp says it doesn't support it

it says it supports MacBook Air m1 but then it doesn't let me

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 6:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 6:26 PM

Not sure where you read that it supports it. Everything I have read says "Intel-based Macs."

That includes Get started with Boot Camp Assistant on Mac - Apple Support

and

Boot Camp Assistant User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

7 replies

Mar 7, 2023 11:46 AM in response to PhotoFixTeam

PhotoFixTeam wrote:

1. Not sure but check this two options.
Unsupported Windows version: Boot Camp only supports certain versions of Windows. If you're trying to install an unsupported version of Windows, Boot Camp may not work.
Security settings: Some security settings on your Mac may prevent Boot Camp from working properly. You can try adjusting your security settings to allow Boot Camp to run.

Thanks.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Boot Camp does not work on M1 Macs. The original poster has a M1 Mac as stated in his post.

Mar 4, 2023 6:45 PM in response to d4vin

d4vin wrote:

so is there another way I can download windows?

Apple Boot Camp is Intel x86-64 only, and does not support Apple silicon.

For Windows on Apple silicon, acquire and install the Parallels hypervisor, and acquire and install Microsoft Windows for ARM64 there.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/options-for-using-windows-11-with-mac-computers-with-apple-m1-and-m2-chips-cd15fd62-9b34-4b78-b0bc-121baa3c568c

If you want to use Microsoft Windows for Intel x86-64, you will need to acquire and install an Intel emulator. One such emulator is UTM. Windows for Intel can then be installed and booted within that emulator.

Mar 7, 2023 11:38 AM in response to d4vin

M1 should be same support as an M2 - I'm running an M2 Max with 64gb. Parallels 18 runs Windows 11 ARM flawlessly with no issue (it's my primary interface). I use the Mac side of things for all the things it does well (iMessage, etc). Just installed "Brew" and QEMU and it is running a couple of VirtualBox Windows 7/XP images I converted to RAW images (to handle some really old x86 32 bit code) and not one issue doing that either. There is a product in the Apple App Store for Mac called UTM (but save yourself 10 bucks....just do the brew/qemu install.)

Mar 7, 2023 11:43 AM in response to d4vin

Not sure but check this two options.

1. Unsupported Windows version: Boot Camp only supports certain versions of Windows. If you're trying to install an unsupported version of Windows, Boot Camp may not work.

1. Security settings: Some security settings on your Mac may prevent Boot Camp from working properly. You can try adjusting your security settings to allow Boot Camp to run.

Thanks.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

I have a MacBook Air m1 2020 but bootcamp says it doesn't support it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.