Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini powers down instead of sleeping. Performs full restart when awakened via keyboard.

On discovering that my Mac Mini is using more electricity than our refrigerator, I decided that I really should try to use the sleep feature. I find that my whole setup uses about 80 watts when the Mac is awake, 25 when it's asleep.

Unfortunately, when I set Energy Saver to the defaults--turn off display after 10 minutes, put hard disks to sleep when possible, wake for network access, enable power nap--and, in the Screen Saver panel, uncheck "Show screen after..."--the Mac will not stay asleep, ready to be awakened. After some period of time, it seems to power down. Hitting keyboard keys, though, seems to power it up--at any rate, it goes through a full "restart" sequence, taking several minutes. Furthermore, during the restart, several apps complain that they were shut down improperly (BBEdit and Telegram being two of them).

Why is the Mac powering down during sleep, and how can I prevent this?

macOS Monterrey 12.6.3

Mac Mini late 2014 (Intel)

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 3:50 PM

Reset the SMC, as per > Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Desktop computer

1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.
  2. Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Then turn off the Screen Saver and test the following Energy Saver settings.

Then test sleeping the Mac mini from the Apple > Dropdown menu.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2023 3:50 PM in response to Daniel P. B. Smith

Reset the SMC, as per > Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Desktop computer

1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.
  2. Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Then turn off the Screen Saver and test the following Energy Saver settings.

Then test sleeping the Mac mini from the Apple > Dropdown menu.

Mac Mini powers down instead of sleeping. Performs full restart when awakened via keyboard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.