Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura 13.3 is putting Mini to sleep even though settings are set to not sleep

So ever since the 13.3 update, I am coming back to my Mac Mini with all of my external drives having been ejected improperly. This implies that the computer has gone to sleep. However,

Displays --> Advanced --> Energy -- "Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off." is enabled.

Lock Screen --> "Start Screen Saver when inactive" set for 5 minutes.

"Turn display off when inactive" set for 10 minutes.

These three settings together should turn off my displays but not sleep the Mini. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 9:47 PM

So after a lot of back and forth with Apple Support, I've come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with 13.3 on my 2023 Mac Mini w/ M2 Pro.

Disk Not Ejected Properly notification continues to occur in all of the following scenarios.

• After updating to 13.3.
  • After going to Safe Mode on the updated version of 13.3.
  • After reinstalling the system software to 13.3.
  • After going to Safe Mode on the "clean" reinstalled version of 13.3.

This did not start until this past week. Essentially, 13.3 has made my Mac Mini unusable for the things that utilize the external drives.

I'm going to hopefully downgrade to 13.2 using a Time Machine back up and go from there. ---- And that didn't happen, since it wipes the drive completely and I can't/don't trust the Time Machine backups from this past week so hopefully Apple Engineering will figure this out soon.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2023 9:47 PM in response to JiminSeattle

So after a lot of back and forth with Apple Support, I've come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with 13.3 on my 2023 Mac Mini w/ M2 Pro.

Disk Not Ejected Properly notification continues to occur in all of the following scenarios.

• After updating to 13.3.
  • After going to Safe Mode on the updated version of 13.3.
  • After reinstalling the system software to 13.3.
  • After going to Safe Mode on the "clean" reinstalled version of 13.3.

This did not start until this past week. Essentially, 13.3 has made my Mac Mini unusable for the things that utilize the external drives.

I'm going to hopefully downgrade to 13.2 using a Time Machine back up and go from there. ---- And that didn't happen, since it wipes the drive completely and I can't/don't trust the Time Machine backups from this past week so hopefully Apple Engineering will figure this out soon.

Mar 31, 2023 6:28 PM in response to dialabrain

Actually in the past, there have been issues with sleep ejecting disks.

https://www.lacie.com/support/kb/disk-not-ejected-properly-on-mac/

Regardless, this issue has only started in the past week since updating to 13.3. So obviously something has changed since no one is yanking the drives' cables out of the back of the Mini. The possibility of the computer going to sleep makes sense. Do you happen to know where there might be a log entry either proving or disproving the sleep hypothesis?

Apr 4, 2023 10:31 PM in response to name99

Yeah, this is definitely an OS related issue. For me, it happens:

Consistently when:

• External Time Machine drive unmounts during Time Machine Backup when it is the only attached drive.
  • External Time Machine and any other attached drives unmount during a Time Machine Backup.

Randomly when:

• External drive with Photos Library unmounts when importing photos or working in Photos. Photos crashes.
  • External drive with Lightroom Library unmounts when working in Lightroom. Lightroom crashes.

Time Machine drive is an Apple SSD drive from old MacBook Pro in an OWC enclosure.

Photos and Lightroom drives are Samsung T5 and T7 drives.

Fourth drive is a Crucial drive in an expansion enclosure.

I have sent two data capture packages for Apple engineers to review. Let's see what happens.

And just to be perfectly clear this never happened prior to the 13.3 update.

Mar 31, 2023 8:31 PM in response to JiminSeattle

What I can say is one, I never sleep my Macs. Two, I have several Macs and only one occasionally gives me a disk improperly ejected message. I've seen the issue on occasion with different versions of macOS since Big Sur. Sometimes with the same disks, sometimes with different disks. Personally I can't prove it but I believe it all has to do with the model of Mac, the model of hard drive, and the version of macOS. Throw in what software is loaded on each. For me, it's been very random and since none of the drives have been affected, I stopped trying to figure out what is going on. Doesn't mean you have to. 😎

Mar 31, 2023 9:13 PM in response to JiminSeattle

Okay I have no idea what is going on.

Tonight is the first night since the update I have specifically worked on my own crap but wtf every time I come back to my Mini I'm presented with BS.. Something had to have changed between 13.2 and 13.3 to put me in this state. I am not getting "Disk Not Ejected Properly" even when I'm fully signed into the club's system. This says something is wrong with the OS update.

Apr 4, 2023 5:12 PM in response to JiminSeattle

I have this on my M2 mini. Likewise it’s new with 13.3.

IT happens with two spinning disk externally powered drives. Does not happen with Apple RAID JBOD built from 4 spinning drives, or with SSD or with a bus-powered spinning drive.

One failing drive is directly attached, one is via a hub.

Both fail always at the same time. To me this all means it’s an OS issue, not in any way a HW issue, and probably related to specifics of negotiating sleep for a particular type of sleep pattern (ie spinning disk non-bus-powered sleep).

One drive us Seagate, one is WD, so I don’t think we can blame the drive side.

Ventura 13.3 is putting Mini to sleep even though settings are set to not sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.