Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disposing of dead iMac with no power-up

My 2013 or thereabouts iMac won't boot up, and I have moved on since then to a much newer model.

The dead unit still has loads of personal data on the hard drive which I can't clean up, because it has a dead power supply.

I know Apple offer a recycling service but all I can find on the website is how to put it in part exchange for a new one.

Can someone please send me a link to to where I need to be to arrange for it to be collected and securely disposed of as I was told was possible in my local Apple Store.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 2:19 PM

You can turn that iMac into Apple for trade in, an Apple Gift Card to simply to recycle, depending on the age and condition of that device. Details are available here:

Apple Trade In - Apple

2 replies

Mar 5, 2023 4:20 PM in response to trequoit

You can protect if not retrieve your information now on the dead computer's hard drive if the drive is not the cause of the failure. Although not easy, one can remove the drive and then use a bare drive adapter to transfer the data via USB to a working computer.

Example: NewerTech Universal Drive Adapter USB Bare Drive Adapter

Salvaging the drive comes with a risk fo damage to the computer but, as it is not working now and has been replaced, I don't see a downside. We cannot post links to non-Apple sites showing take-apart, but a web search using the year and model of the computer and "replace hard drive" should find the how-to.

The article that Carol B links shows that Apple will take your tech for recycling without being tied to a purchase.

Disposing of dead iMac with no power-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.