Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple t.v. rented movies

Can I rent a movie from my apple tv account; download it to my MacBook air and watch it on a plane without wi-fi? Or can that only be done with antiphon or iPad?

Not sure why it's so hard to get an answer to this, other than it does not sound like anyone wants to admit that it can't be done on a MacBook but can with a phone or iPad.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.1

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 11:32 AM

I haven't done it myself but the following from Rent movies from the Apple TV app - Apple Support sounds like it can be done (see the last item below):

On Mac

1. Open the Apple TV app.
  2. Go to the Library tab.
  3. In the sidebar, click Rentals. If you can't find Rentals, either your rental expired or wasn't rented with the Apple ID that you used to sign in.
  4. Hold the pointer over your movie rental, then you can:
    • Stream your rental: Click the Play button 
    • Download your rental: Click the Download button .

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2023 11:32 AM in response to MyDogJackson

I haven't done it myself but the following from Rent movies from the Apple TV app - Apple Support sounds like it can be done (see the last item below):

On Mac

1. Open the Apple TV app.
  2. Go to the Library tab.
  3. In the sidebar, click Rentals. If you can't find Rentals, either your rental expired or wasn't rented with the Apple ID that you used to sign in.
  4. Hold the pointer over your movie rental, then you can:
    • Stream your rental: Click the Play button 

Mar 6, 2023 11:38 AM in response to MyDogJackson

Why do you think it can't be done on a Mac?

See the "On Mac" section here: Rent movies from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

The only caveat, is you may need to start playback of the movie while you still have Wi-Fi so it can validate. But once that is done, you have 48 hours to finish watching the movie.

apple t.v. rented movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.