Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos - "This Library isn't searchable in Spotlight due to its location" for a library on an APFS volume

I've moved my PhotoLibrary to an APFS volume to save space on my baseline Macbook Air M1. It seems that broke the spotlight indexing of photos.

The Photo app's setting display a message "This Library isn't searchable in Spotlight due to its location".

I've read that it doesn't work with external drives but in this case it's on the same internal drive but on a separate volume (that size constrained).

Any solutions anyone?

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 1:39 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 11, 2023 11:36 AM in response to mpalka

You can keep a library on external volumes. Apple even recommends it, if you are low on storage on the internal drive, see: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Only, Photos will only show your System Photos Library in the Media Browser. You would have to make the library on the external volume your System Photos Library. And do not move the library to a volume used by Time Machine.

Photos - "This Library isn't searchable in Spotlight due to its location" for a library on an APFS volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.