Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update 4th gen iPad

I have a 4th generation iPad and am trying to download the latest IOS software, and it won't let me. It is currently on IOS 10.3.3 and still have 4.5GB of storage.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2023 5:42 PM

kickntumble Said:

"Unable to update 4th gen iPad: [...]It is currently on IOS 10.3.3 and still have 4.5GB of storage."

-------

Update-able or not-- you need to clear space...

What Space to Clear:

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Also...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

C. Clear "Other" Storage:

See id "Other" is all "junk" (as we'd commonly say) from installed apps (i.e. caches). So, to fix this, first backup* your iPad and then restore** it from the backup. See where things go from there.

* Backing Up: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

** Restoring: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Suopport

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2023 5:42 PM in response to TheLittles

kickntumble Said:

"Unable to update 4th gen iPad: [...]It is currently on IOS 10.3.3 and still have 4.5GB of storage."

-------

Update-able or not-- you need to clear space...

What Space to Clear:

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Also...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

C. Clear "Other" Storage:

See id "Other" is all "junk" (as we'd commonly say) from installed apps (i.e. caches). So, to fix this, first backup* your iPad and then restore** it from the backup. See where things go from there.

* Backing Up: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

** Restoring: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Suopport

Mar 8, 2023 5:39 PM in response to kickntumble

kickntumble Said:

"Unable to update 4th gen iPad: I have a 4th generation iPad and am trying to download the latest IOS software, and it won't let me.[...]

-------

Updating an iPad:

Use of a Computer to Update:

My User Tip: Making Use of a Computer for Updating an iOS Device - User Tip. If any updates are available they will install, wire enough.

Mar 8, 2023 5:23 PM in response to kickntumble

Update support for iPad4 ended September 2017. The final iOS releases for this model were iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only models) and iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular). iPad4 cannot be updated to any later major version of iOS as it lacks the minimum hardware requirements needed to run more recent versions. The 32-bit platform upon which the iPad4 is based is obsolete.

App Developers have dropped all support for 32-bit devices and many for iOS versions preceding iOS11/12/13 - and have withdrawn older versions of their Apps from the Apple App Store. Withdrawal of Apps supporting older models of iPad is making their utility and usefulness significantly more limited. Once compatible versions Apps are withdrawn, you’ll not be able (re)download or (re)install them.

If Apps that you need to use now have higher minimum iOS-version requirements than your iPad is capable, your only option is to replace your iPad with newer model. Of current models, even the entry-level iPad9 supports current iPadOS 16 - and has hardware specifications and capabilities that vastly outperform an old iPad4.

For information, here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

32-bit devices (obsolete)

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

64-bit devices

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.7

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 - iPadOS 15.7.3

Newer models are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 16.3.1

• iPad Pro (all models)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (5th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

Unable to update 4th gen iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.