Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages on Macbook Air

I logged out of Messages on my Macbook Air a couple of times and it logs back in again. I do not want to receive messages on my Macbook Air at all. I understand that I cannot remove the app because it's a system safety. I don't want to get distracted with messages on my Macbook Air and that's why my Do Not Disturb is on all the time on my laptop. But when I am on my Macbook Air messages don't show as new unread texts on my iPhone. I have missed noticing some messages because the Messages app gets logged in automatically and texts go to the Macbook Air because I am working on my laptop.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 8, 2023 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2023 11:49 PM

Hi FarzanehJ,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "Messages on Macbook Air"

If you scroll down in Apple Support's article:

Set up Messages on Mac – Apple Support

to

"Stop using iMessage"

says:

"If you don’t want to see messages on your Mac, you can sign out of iMessage.

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, choose Messages > Settings, click iMessage, then click Settings.
    2. Click Sign Out, then confirm that you want to sign out. When you sign out of iMessage, you no longer receive messages on your Mac.

Note: If you want to stop receiving messages sent to your phone number, unselect the phone number below “You can be reached for messages at”. See the Apple Support article Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime."

Hope this helps.

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2023 11:49 PM in response to FarzanehJ

Hi FarzanehJ,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "Messages on Macbook Air"

If you scroll down in Apple Support's article:

Set up Messages on Mac – Apple Support

to

"Stop using iMessage"

says:

"If you don’t want to see messages on your Mac, you can sign out of iMessage.

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, choose Messages > Settings, click iMessage, then click Settings.
    2. Click Sign Out, then confirm that you want to sign out. When you sign out of iMessage, you no longer receive messages on your Mac.

Note: If you want to stop receiving messages sent to your phone number, unselect the phone number below “You can be reached for messages at”. See the Apple Support article Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime."

Hope this helps.

All the best :-)

Messages on Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.