Extremely Blurry Screen M1 MacBook Pro 16

Hello! I’ve got an M1 MacBook Pro 16 from my work. I’ve been using it just fine, but recently the internal display just randomly got insanely blurry (it’s practically a black screen). I generally use my Mac with an external display connected via thunderbolt usb c, and that works fine. It’s just the internal display.

Is there any way to fix this, or is this just a screen hardware issue? I’ve attached a photo that shows what this looks like during boot, where you might usually see the apple logo and a loading bar. It’s clearly distorted and just barely recognizable. I can still control the laptop, but when I get to the login screen it’s just a big gray blob.

Posted on Mar 8, 2023 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 10:51 AM

Yes, and if Apple refuses to provide a satisfying solution, we should consider a class action.

104 replies

Dec 30, 2023 8:08 AM in response to Cupid_Bot

M1 MBP 16

I am having the same issue. Absolute cannot fix it even with clean software reinstall.

Apple is asking to charge me over $1000 to fix this issue because

it is a few months out of warranty. Unbelievable!

This is NOT a user error. This is a design issue.

Apple, you need to own up to it and fix this issue. We paid a lot of money for these pro machines.

Aug 28, 2023 12:32 AM in response to Cupid_Bot

Same issue here, was just working with the M1 macbook and suddenly it was like a black vale spreaded over the screen when pixels started to fade out. Now I only have a blurred, dim image of the desktop on my macbook screen while I work on an external display.

The Macbook is 1.5 years old and is mainly used indoors. I'm puzzled. Went to apple store half a year ago because I suspected this unit was quirky because I have crackling audio when playing sounds/movies but they said it was an issue with OSX.. not so sure about that now...

Feb 17, 2024 5:29 PM in response to Cupid_Bot

For anyone needing a ray of hope, my Macbook Pro M1 began suffering from this exact same blurry and dark monochrome screen problem just prior to the holidays. My screen very closely matched the photos that I see everyone posting, so I am positive it is the same issue. Nothing I tried could make the problem go away. I even took it to the Genius bar at the Apple store. They ran various diagnostics and replaced the firmware, but couldn't solve the problem. They said that it would cost $1,000+ to repair.

Today, I booted it up after two months of not using it to find that the problem had disappeared! I saw the little white house-shaped icon and the progress bar which I think indicates that it was trying to restore itself from hibernation. The display was sharp and full brightness. I did not do anything to the machine between the time it wasn't working and the time that it was, except for letting it sit for an extended period (approximately 2 months).

Upon first powering up, the boot process did not complete normally, but I could see a normal non-blurry mouse pointer on a black screen. I then forced a power-off by pressing and holding the power button. When I powered on, everyone came up normally. I was able to login and see my desktop in full, sharp color. I only hope that it stays this way and that the problem does not return.

The machine ran completely out of power when it was sitting for two months. It wouldn't start without plugging it in. When I powered it on using the power cord, I saw the progress bar which seems to indicate waking up from hibernation. One other thing is that the temperature in the room where the machine sat was around 50 degrees for most of the time it sat there. I doubt that matters, but perhaps.

So... my advice is to try running your machine completely out of power and let it sit for a while (maybe in a cool room just in case). I doubt that the full two months is required. You could try various periods of time to see if it helps.

To me, this result indicates that the problem isn't a display hardware failure. However, that leaves open the question of why replacing the display does solve the problem. It could be that the process of replacing it ends up triggering the same kind of reset as running it out of power and letting it sit for an extended period.

Or... maybe the problem is just intermittent and the 2 months of sitting had nothing to do with it? I'm open to theories.

I'll let you know if anything changes.

Macbook details:

16-inch Macbook Pro from 2021.

Apple M1 Max

32GB

macOS Sonoma Version 14.2

Built-in liquid retina XDR Display (3456 x 2234)

If you have any questions, let me know.

Nov 19, 2023 3:26 AM in response to recluse8

Just got off the phone with Apple, they don’t even want to acknowledge the problem. I’ll be heading to the Apple Store to make noise. I paid more than $3000 dollars for this machine and they want me to pay another $800 and can’t even acknowledge that people here are all experiencing the same issue.

Well, somebody at the Apple Store is about to have a bad day because I’m going to bark up a storm until someone at Apple acknowledges the issue.🥶

Nov 17, 2023 10:24 AM in response to Cupid_Bot

This is definitely a faulty hardware problem with Mac Book Pro 16 inch. It happened to me too slightly after warranty. My screen became blurred out of nowhere, and I talk extremely good care of all my Apple devices.

I have a raised case with Apple now.

These are supposed to be top of the line laptops, there shouldn’t be hardware screen flaws in less than 2 years, especially the price you have to pay for them.

There are enough cases here to show that the issue is isolated and common.

As a long time Apple user, this has been the most expensive laptop, I’ve purchased and unfortunately utterly disappointed.

Sep 17, 2023 5:28 PM in response to Disappointedcustomer88

UPDATE concerning my separate post: it has been removed. This is the explanation I was given, including my post:

"Hi Disappointedcustomer88, 

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Community.

We’ve removed your post MacBook Pro - extremely blurry screen (unusable) because it contained either feedback or a feature request that was not constructive.

To read our terms and conditions for using the Community site, see this page: Apple Support Community - Terms of Use

We hope you’ll keep using our Support Community. You can find more information about participating here: Apple Support Community - How To Articles

If you have comments about any of our products, we welcome your feedback: Apple - Feedback

We’ve included a copy of your original post below.

Thanks,

Apple Support Community Staff

The screen of my MacBook Pro is extremely blurry. I can only see shapes and it is unusable. This problem has already been reported by other users.

I went to an Apple store and showed them the blurry screen. They tried to fix it and did some tests. In the end, they told me that the screen had no external or internal damage and that the diagnostic said everything was working fine (despite the screen being clearly unusable). My MacBook Pro is 1 years and 2 months old.

The solution they suggested? Use an external monitor or pay $600 for a new monitor.

I'm extremely disappointed. I'm leaving this post here so other users know about this issue and think twice before buying this laptop."

Feb 13, 2024 3:25 PM in response to yzksmith

Today, all of a sudden, my screen went into this mode where the screen is extremely blurred. Connecting an external screen confirmed everything works except the screen. I’m booked at an Apple Store tomorrow.

I’m so so disappointed, my MacBook Pro is the 16 inch model and it’s only 1 year and 2 weeks old! Spent over £2,500, fingers crossed it will be sorted tomorrow.

This is my first MacBook Pro ever, it’s been so extremely well looked after!!! Not a scratch on it, then this happens.

Feb 13, 2024 12:17 AM in response to MarcusDL

Guys, I installed a new OS yesterday by mistake before going to bed. I let it sit overnight and when I woke up, the screen was working again for a minute, before going back to blurry again. Is this really a screen defect or perhaps just a connection or OS issue? Apple wont answer this and tells me to replace the entire thing, but I think we are being somewhat scammed here.

Nov 16, 2023 11:01 AM in response to Cupid_Bot

Same issue happened before a week

I took it to service center they said display has to be replaced.

It's cost around 85k inr.

So I decided to to get back and work with external monitor

When I bought new monitor and plugged in type c again my laptop 💻 display started working.

I don't know what happened.

But again in night it went to black and blurry

Feb 18, 2024 3:32 AM in response to blurfocus

This thing happened to me too, but after just 3-4 days. It does go back and forth (working sometimes, and sometimes not), and this typically shifts when ever I close the laptop and open it back up again. I did go back to the apple store to check if there were any connectivity issues, they opened the laptop twice to double-check, and everything seemed to be in order.

I did manage to replicate the issue at the store where the screen was working at first, and after they checked the laptop, it went back to blurry, but they still won't repair this for free and are telling me they have to either switch out the entire screen, or logic board; which I would have to pay for (close to $1000 USD here in Thailand).

As everyone has stated, it's crazy that most people have had problems with the logic board and then have the same issue, and that this happens right after 1 year when the warranty has expired.

Good luck to everyone, I hope for at least some people, this will iron itself out and they won't have to spend another cent on their expensive device. For me, I'll sell this marked as broken screen and give the problem to someone else.

Feb 18, 2024 4:48 AM in response to Cupid_Bot

So after calling AppleCare, Apple Customer Service, escalating to management twice and going to 2 Genius Appointments, they all told me there was nothing that could be done but pay $748 to replace the screen on my 2021 M1 MacBook Pro.

I asked about trade-ins even and they said its broken so cant trade-in for anything, BUT I went to just 1 more Apple Store since I was desperate and there was one person who agreed that it was most likely a hardware issue and seen no damage internally or externally, so he put through a trade-in for $810.

For me, it was better to trade it in and pay $800ish more for a new M3 MacBook Pro (with student discount) then pay to fix it.

Extremely Blurry Screen M1 MacBook Pro 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.