Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VLC is not working on my mac

I’ve read previous old posts regarding this problem and see it’s recommended that I should reinstall vlc, but should I uninstall it first or can I just go ahead and install it again as if it’s the first time? If I have to uninstall first, will I lose all videos etc?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 7:41 AM

You can just download VLC from the VideoLAN site. When you install it, the Finder will pop a dialog where you choose replace and overwrite the previous version.

The current VideoLAN download button for macOS offers a selector, but if you are on Intel, just clicking the Download button gets you what you need.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2023 7:41 AM in response to Frustratedab

You can just download VLC from the VideoLAN site. When you install it, the Finder will pop a dialog where you choose replace and overwrite the previous version.

The current VideoLAN download button for macOS offers a selector, but if you are on Intel, just clicking the Download button gets you what you need.

Mar 9, 2023 3:10 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you, but I've tried dragging and dropping but that results in individual photos and videos displayed separately, not as a continuous mp4 video. It's a slideshow I'm trying to export and I can't understand why it just won't work this time when it always has in the past. Sorry if I'm being dense here - I really am not very technically minded, as you can tell!

VLC is not working on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.