Why won't iMovie and GarageBand work after upgrade to OS 12.7.1

I did an upgrade to OS 12.7.1 from OS 10.14.6. In the App Store it gave me an error message saying "The version of iMovie installed on this Mac is not compatible with macOS Monterey. You have “iMovie” 10.1.12. Download version 10.3.10 for free from the App Store. I cannot locate that version.

GarageBand says "application "Garage Band' cannot be opened." when I select GB 10.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 10:04 AM

Well, one needs to put iMovie in the trash before doing a redownload of the same version. Possibly when doing an update to a later version it would not be necessary to put it in the trash first. You may be right there.

I think in the situation of the OP we are dealing with 32 bit apps being incompatible with 64 bit operating system. So I am not sure that you can do the usual update method. In any event, since the update procedure was not working for the OP, then it doesn't hurt to put iMovie in the trash and re-try the procedure.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2023 10:04 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Well, one needs to put iMovie in the trash before doing a redownload of the same version. Possibly when doing an update to a later version it would not be necessary to put it in the trash first. You may be right there.

I think in the situation of the OP we are dealing with 32 bit apps being incompatible with 64 bit operating system. So I am not sure that you can do the usual update method. In any event, since the update procedure was not working for the OP, then it doesn't hurt to put iMovie in the trash and re-try the procedure.

Nov 1, 2023 11:03 AM in response to Walletarian

The screen shot of your Account shows you have 5 Apps to adopt two of which are iMovie and Garage Band.

The iMovie and Garage Band shown further down the Account page might be from downloads from a previous Mac and then migrated over to your newer Mac???

Anyway it looks as though you have to accept the Apps before you can update them.

You might need to trash your current versions of iMovie and Garage Band first to avoid any confusion.

Why won't iMovie and GarageBand work after upgrade to OS 12.7.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.