Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad charging via the Magic Keyboard port

I’ve been charging my iPad via a charger from wall electricity outlet directly to the Magic Keyboard port since I bought them. Now the iPad says “not charging” when I try that arrangement and will only charge via the iPad port. Why?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 9:56 AM

Remove the iPad from the keyboard - and carefully/gently clean the smart connector contacts on both the iPad and keyboard with a soft pencil eraser. Ensure that the contacts are dirt and dust free before reconnecting the two.

If the problem persists, you might be well advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and keyboard:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2023 9:56 AM in response to RKilbyG

Remove the iPad from the keyboard - and carefully/gently clean the smart connector contacts on both the iPad and keyboard with a soft pencil eraser. Ensure that the contacts are dirt and dust free before reconnecting the two.

If the problem persists, you might be well advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and keyboard:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad charging via the Magic Keyboard port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.