Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewire connection Sony to mac mini 2012: DCR-HC20 iLink setup for DV out

I am trying to transfer some old miniDV home footage shot on my DCR-HC20 and would really like to use iLink to maintain the footage quality.  I am connecting the camcorder to my mac mini computer via iLink, but have been unsuccessful in having the computer detect the camcorder. I have tried everything on the computer side with no success (reinstalled multiple versions of macOS, new iLink cables, and various startup connection sequences. None have made a difference. 

I have however read multiple user posts with similar issues, with other model miniDV camcorders, saying to make sure the camcorder is NOT set to DV in.  

In my case however when connecting the DCR-HC20 the display does show "DV in". I have searched everywhere in the Sony Users Manual, but have not found how to change that to DV out.  

Has someone run into this issue and has a procedure how to set iLink connector to DV out???

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 2:41 PM

Usually camera recognition failure is caused by the cable set up. Check your cable connections to confirm that they are tight. Make sure

that you are plugging in to your Mac's thunderbolt socket. Also, try

toggling your recorder on and off to see if that will trigger

recognition.

You need a 4 pin FW to 9 pin FW with adapters of Firewire 800 ( 9 pin) to Thunderbolt. I believe that your iLink is equivalent to Firewire.

You might want to read the link below for a helpful discussion:

Importing mini DV tape from Sony Handy-ca… - Apple Community

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2023 2:41 PM in response to jorgenunezjr

Usually camera recognition failure is caused by the cable set up. Check your cable connections to confirm that they are tight. Make sure

that you are plugging in to your Mac's thunderbolt socket. Also, try

toggling your recorder on and off to see if that will trigger

recognition.

You need a 4 pin FW to 9 pin FW with adapters of Firewire 800 ( 9 pin) to Thunderbolt. I believe that your iLink is equivalent to Firewire.

You might want to read the link below for a helpful discussion:

Importing mini DV tape from Sony Handy-ca… - Apple Community

-- Rich

Firewire connection Sony to mac mini 2012: DCR-HC20 iLink setup for DV out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.