Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M4a files "suddenly" stopped playing in Apple Music

Hello. I produce music, and often times, when I export a beat/instrumental from the program that it was created in, I convert it from a Wav. file to an M4a. file, using the default Apple encoder/converter. I have been doing this for years now, and have converted over 100 files to m4a. They have always played with no problems, up until a few days ago. Suddenly all of my previously converted m4a. files won't play in Apple Music. Ironically, they WILL play in Quicktime and in VLC, so they are not corrupted.

So, just this morning I thought to try and convert a recently exported beat (wav. file) to an m4a. to see if it would play, and lo and behold, it plays. So this tells me that Apple Music still plays m4a. files, just not all of my 100+ previously converted files.

Does anyone know if there was some time of update that made these previously converted m4a. files incompatible?

I have attached a screenshot of my current OS system

Thanks for any and all feedback. It is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, 10.15

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 9:41 AM

What happens when you try to play one of the problematic songs in Music? Are there any error messages? You might try Repair security permissions for iTunes/Music for Mac - Apple Community.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies

M4a files "suddenly" stopped playing in Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.