Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did my location services turn on for some apps out of no where?

When I used my phone earlier today there were no paper airplane symbols (next to the time) on the apps I normally used. I checked my phone a few minutes ago and now all of a sudden I have the paper airplane symbol on apps that normally wouldn’t have that showing up. I checked location services and it says that some apps has the setting: track while using the app. That’s never happened before so how did it all of a sudden turn on? I’m really worried.

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 11:54 PM

Apps that track your location in the background will display a "paper airplane" symbol next to them in the Location Services menu. You must be aware that widgets, e.g. the Weather app also use your location, this will also appear in the Location Service menu, where you will see While Using the App or Widget. You can see an explanation of what the specific app uses your location for under each app on the list in Locaton Services.

If you see a "grey paper plane" outside of your apps, it means that the app or widget has accessed your location at some point within the last 24 hours. For example, you may have had the app open just for a short time. If you see a "purple paper plane" it means that an app or associated widget has used your location recently.

You don't need to be worried. App doesn't use your location in the background if you haven't given them permission.

But if you don't feel comfortable with one or more apps being able to use your location, you can always deactivate their ability to do so here: SettingsPrivacy & SecurityLocation Service → tap on the individual apps and select Never

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2023 11:54 PM in response to AngelicLace

Apps that track your location in the background will display a "paper airplane" symbol next to them in the Location Services menu. You must be aware that widgets, e.g. the Weather app also use your location, this will also appear in the Location Service menu, where you will see While Using the App or Widget. You can see an explanation of what the specific app uses your location for under each app on the list in Locaton Services.

If you see a "grey paper plane" outside of your apps, it means that the app or widget has accessed your location at some point within the last 24 hours. For example, you may have had the app open just for a short time. If you see a "purple paper plane" it means that an app or associated widget has used your location recently.

You don't need to be worried. App doesn't use your location in the background if you haven't given them permission.

But if you don't feel comfortable with one or more apps being able to use your location, you can always deactivate their ability to do so here: SettingsPrivacy & SecurityLocation Service → tap on the individual apps and select Never

Why did my location services turn on for some apps out of no where?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.